My dd has an illegal pitch?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

UNO

May 23, 2013
I have a question I am hoping you guys/gals could help me with.. When my 10yr old dd pitches.. She shows the ball,brings ball and hands together, then pulls her hands to chest 2x then brings her arms up then down and around motion.. My question is when she pulls the ball to her chest 2x? Is that illegal? She asked a ump at her last game(she was not pitching)he said it is fine... Nothing wrong with it, We plan on changing, but she will be getting to start this next game and doesn't feel comfortable w the different way yet... Thank you

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
She is legal. Before and while the hands are together, she can do about anything unless the hands separate and return together.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
Asa criteria regarding hands: (paraphrasing)
1. Pitcher takes mound with hands *apart* (ball in either hand or glove is ok)
2. Before beginning pitch delivery motion hands must come together and remain stationary for 1-10 seconds.
3. Once hands are again separated, she *must* then proceed to deliver a pitch to the plate.
4. Hands may not come together again after the 1st time.

But as long as your DD does pause with hands together at some point, I dont think that there is any rule against her moving them around while they stay together?

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Legal or not, clean all that junk out of her motion and routine while you can. Its too much stuff to do every single time you go to pitch. And eventually I believe the extended routine becomes a mental crutch and it distracts the player from what she is really doing.

Don't get me wrong, you want a consistent repeatable routine, but not one that takes more energy then the actual pitch does.

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
Asa criteria regarding hands: (paraphrasing)
1. Pitcher takes mound with hands *apart* (ball in either hand or glove is ok)
2. Before beginning pitch delivery motion hands must come together and remain stationary for 1-10 seconds.
3. Once hands are again separated, she *must* then proceed to deliver a pitch to the plate.
4. Hands may not come together again after the 1st time.

But as long as your DD does pause with hands together at some point, I dont think that there is any rule against her moving them around while they stay together?

The hands have to come together for 1-10 seconds, no requirement for a "pause"

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I don't believe any association requires a pause at any point. I think as long as all the other requirements are met, a pitcher's arms may be doing all kinds of motions until the hands separate.

ASA does require the hands to remain together for no less than one and no more than 10 seconds, but again, no requirement for them to be still.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
thanks for the clarification on the "pause" guys - I stand corrected.

we actually played against a pitcher this season that had no discernible "pause".
She prepared/took her signs from behind the pitchers plate.
Walked forward, timing/pacing her stride so that stride foot made contact with back of plate, and pivot foot heel made contact with front of plate. Then, without any pause in her motion, hands came together, *very* briefly and quickly, just above and in front of her forehead, and she was right into her windup/pushoff and delivered pitch.

To me it looked like a very controlled "walk-though".
And she definitely looked like she was gaining stride distance/velocity advantage, due to her un-arrested forward motion.

*But*, all within the confines of the Rule?

Last edited:

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Several years ago the ASA came out with a ruling that there does not have to be a pauise with the ball in the glove and, in fact, the ball only needs to touch the glove as it goes by. To give the appearance of bringing the hands together.

We are talking pre-motions here with the movement before the hands seperate, you can pretty much do whatever, as long as they staay together.

Just a little clarification here.

Once the pitcher receives the ball in the circle, she has 20 seconds to DELIVER the pitch. In other wordsa, release the ball for delivery.

Once the hands are brought together, she has 10 seconds to DELIVER the pitch.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors