My Daughter has 5 pitches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2010
If she can spin the ball sufficiently to make the ball rise, throwing curves and screws are fundamentally the same ball spin with the orientation of the wrist being adjusted.
jim

Very good point. Floridas' Stacey Nelson's go-to pitch was her screw and Monica Abbott was her curve. Both had rise balls but when they needed to paint the corners they had the curve and screw.

Jan 27, 2010
Slugger. Danielle Lawrie of U.of Washington has both the rise and drop. Angela Tincher of VT has a drop and rise. Just to mention a few.

Oct 22, 2009
My DD had a severe wrist break at 11. I told her doctor she was a pitcher, but at 11 her thoughts were more, yeah yeah she's 11, who knows what she'll be doing next year. She said normal play ground activity would be enough physical therapy. Well it wasn't. She babied that wrist the best she could and began cupping the ball throwing a rise spin.
It was a hard decision to just let it go rather than put up with the suffering of her trying to flex the wrist.
Eventually she was able to throw a screw and curve, but no drop. They forced her to throw a drop in college. She could throw a change also.
Mainly she was rise and screw pitcher, then used the curve for outside and an intermingling of drops and changes.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
96coach, is your DD a lefty? Most lefty's have the best natural movements on the 4 and 2 seem FB.

Regardless of pitching arm I agree with others. She needs to learn a good curve and screw.

And I can't believe no one has mentioned this yet, but she needs an off speed pitch. Mixing the speeds is more effective than any breaking pitch. ( IMO )

Sorry cshilt, I didn't see your post until I reread.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2009
Mesa Arizona
And I can't believe no one has mentioned this yet, but she needs an off speed pitch. Mixing the speeds is more effective than any breaking pitch. ( IMO )

She has two types of Change ups, I mentioned that in my original post. She can also vary her speed of her fastballs. I would actually say she doesn't throw the same speed twice in a row and the difference is about 5-8 mph difference.

Oh She is a righty, who is double jointed like no tomorrow. To stretch her sholder I almost have to take her arm out of her socket. Very sick looking

Oct 22, 2009
Oh She is a righty, who is double jointed like no tomorrow. To stretch her sholder I almost have to take her arm out of her socket. Very sick looking

My DS is like that, when he goofs with his friends he lays his arm behind his neck then wraps it over the opposite shoulder and lets it hang down his chest. It looks so dislocated! Then he screams, "My ARM! my ARM!" And all his friends start freaking out. Why couldn't the pitcher in the family get that arm? : (

Mar 22, 2010
Maryland
Finger Pressure

Why not try having her throw her 2 seam and 4 seam with finger pressure on different fingers and see if that gives you the east, west movement without changing anything else.

You can use it for her drops as well.

Just a suggestion, as that may produce a ball that not only drops, but also curves out or screws in, just by applying additional pressure.

You also can add and remove fingers to produce a little off speed action. More fingers (4 fingers) should be slower than 2 fingers. Obviously, her hands need to be large enough to hold with 2 fingers. Then she can mix in the number of fingers used on both her 2 and 4 seam as well as her drop.

Would love to hear if you tried these things before or if you try them and what you find....

Mar 22, 2010
Maryland
Oh yeah, for her peeling drop ( if that is what she has) you can have her do a pull back peeling drop motion which would cause off speed peeling drop that will slow down but not as much as her change-up.

Jan 27, 2010
tojo: No, they don't. Watch the flight of the ball. Watch what they throw when the game is on the line.
I have watched them numerous times. The Olympic team sure had trouble with both. Both defeated them with the rise and drop. Remember.I think most would consider any game on the line when Crystal Bustos is at bat. If my memory is correct, the pitch that Bustos poped up was indeed a rise by Tincher. I have always thought that Cats' go-to pitchs were the drop curve and the curve.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32