My 6YO says she wants to be a catcher!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 2, 2010
My dd is playing 6U Coach Pitch and loves to play catcher! I'm excited, because I didn't really want her to follow in big sister's footsteps as a pitcher. While they are about six years apart, the comparisons wouldn't be fair to either.

She can stop the ball on the bounce and has a pretty accurate throw. Where do we go from here?

Dec 15, 2009
when i started catching, they just put me behind the plate at every game and practice. I worked on throw downs to each base and my coaches nurtured me into being a catcher. I never played at 6 so what they do there, i don't know. But my best guess is have her keep working on her throws and work on balance because of the squatting position. Maybe have her suit up in her gear and take her to a wall or fence. Have her get in her stance and then throw balls at her from different angles, such as one hitting the dirt, one hitting the plate and bouncing, one over her head, and one to each side of her. maybe try to start to get her moving a lil and try to block the balls.

sru

Jun 20, 2008
Blocking is tough, especially when the pitchers start thowing some heat. My kid is always bruised from blocking. The great thing with starting to catch at an early age is that your DD will probably become the most accurate thrower on the team, making her a natural for 3rd or SS too. She will also learn the game quicker from behind the plate. It sounds like she is enthusiastic, so keep her catching, and make it fun.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish