My 2 DD hitting today

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 14, 2008
I took a video today of my two dd hitting. First one is of my 10yr old. She is playing u12 this year but she isnt much of a hitter. She is my lead off batter mostly by bunting. She is super fast and she has been working on slapping.

Tatum Hitting - YouTube

2nd video is of my oldest daughter. She is a freshman in college. Generally hits for alot of power with a small package (5-3) Thanks for your input

Kayla Hitting - YouTube

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
tatum_zps7050c3aa.gif

Tatum

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
10yr old looks pretty good. I would like to see a little more stretch / coil at toe touch and make sure her hands stay all the way back until heel plant. But for 10 I'd imagine your a proud dad! Good luck and keep it up. James

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2008
Yea very proud of her. Im pretty convinced there is nothing she cant do if she tries to do it.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Tatum
I would have her look at her feet at set up. Keep them straight to a line or open the front foot an inch or 2. When you stand closed like that sometimes you only see the ball with one eye.

SL

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Kayla

I think her hands leave her body some. I would try and tighten up her hand pivot point. When she comes forward with the hands keep them tighter to her chest.
Just and inch or 2 make a big difference. You should hear the difference off the bat.

SL

Two easiest biggest things to start for Tatum is as Straightleg pointed out her feet are not lined up just have her line up the toes and keep everything lined up towards the pitcher as she steps, you can have a slight style preference but right now hers is too drastic starting closed and stepping in even more closed. I'm OK with her lower for now since she seems to be get a good hip turn, I would work on her hands it is hard to tell from this angle but it looks like she is casting out hitting around the ball. If you have seen the drill where you line up bat to belly away from a fence and swing through this would be a great drill for her it would also stop her from stepping in since that would probably lead her to hit the fence.

AOL On - How To Play Baseball: Fence Drill

For Kayla if rdb or someone can post the gif of Cabrerra you will see what straightleg is talking about a really direct path to the ball

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009

I believe what RDB is showing here is a difference that Cabera does with his back and upper then what Kayla does. I want to be brief, because Kayla is obviously successful at what she does.

When I made Kayla's gif, first thing in my mind was the similiarities to some gifs I have of Bustos taking bp. A gif that I believe is close to Bustos is Matt Kemp. If you see him swing, it is an extreme SNAP, a WHIP, like pulling on a slingshot and releasing. Bustos and Kemp are pulling back and abruptly.... SNAP. Kayla is forcefully pulling with her chest area through the ball.

I had made the decision to not break down her swing when I posted it. I usually know where RDB is going with the vids he posts and I am just sharing those thoughts.

She has a very nice swing! That is all she/you should take away from this post on a net discussion board. She has a good swing. Congratulations and best wishes.

RDB posted the Cabrerra gif at my request to see what a more direct path might look like. I will take another look at Kayla's swing I think she had about a dozen in the OP and maybe it just looks like she is away from her body because this is a low outside pitch.

I want to second and third the opinions that Kayla has a very nice swing and I would be hesitant as long as she keeps performing well to change anything and if you did it would be a very minor adjustment.

p.s. after looking again still not sure Kayla's swing looks tighter, quicker sometimes than others...I think she obviously knows how to swing you can even see that she ques herself at the end of the clip to take a more direct path to the ball so maybe it is something she is feeling herself and working on, which of course is great when you know what the correct swing is supposed to feel like and can understand that maybe something is just a little off.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55