Multiple Tryouts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Don

Mar 10, 2010
Richmond, VA
My daughter isn't happy on her current 14U travel team, and wants to go to tryouts for other teams. The team that she most wants to play for (and of course the most competetive and the one she is least likely to make), is last, after some other tryouts that she is more likely to get a position on.

How do people generally handle this? I dont' want to have her commit to a team early and then back out later if she does happen to make the team she REALLY wants to play for, but at the same time, I don't want to have her skip all the other tryouts and hold out for the team that will have 50 girls trying out for 2 open positions, and then have nowhere to play if she doesn't make it.

I don't want to be a jerk, but I also want what is best for my daughter.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Oct 25, 2009
Try outs are a two-way street. The team wants to see if a player has what the team wants; the player wants to see if the team has what she wants.

I would go to a reasonable number of try outs. I would also tell my DD to let the coaches know that her parents want her to go to multiple try outs before she commits to a team. That takes the pressure off of her somewhat. Have a good reason why you want her to go to multiple try outs; you'll be asked.

Sometimes teams give players a time range within which they must decide.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Agree with sbphreak--

Additionally, you are looking at this thing upside down. The goal is to find the best fit for your DD, not to find the best team. You want her on a team where (1) she gets plenty of playing time, (2) she gets good training, (3) the team schedule fits the family schedule and (4) she gets along with the other kids. If you go to a tryout where everything clicks, then she should agree to play for that team.

I'm afraid this is simply common sense--"A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush."

This is very much like job interviews--do you go with the b0oss who really, really wants you, even though it wasn't your first pick, or do you go with a business that doesn't really care if you take the job offer or not?

Jun 16, 2010
The best teams will usually be last, the other teams will always schedule theirs first to put the players in the position you are recognizing. If they did not, the best teams would always have the pick of the decent player, and other teams would get the leftovers.

Be advised that if a team only needs a couple of girls, the coach has probably recruited several god players from other teams to come try out for him for certain positions. Recruiting does take place. Players call the coaches , and coaches also call players. They still have to tryout, and might not be taken depending on who else shows up.

If this is the best team around, you will know if your DD has what it takes to make it.

Aug 3, 2010
I don't see relevance in who runs tryouts first or last, so much has to do with scheduling and logistics.

I believe honesty is best policy. If you go to tryout and feel it's a possibility but not sure, and you are picked, tell them you need some time and go to another tryout. From the coaching side, we always know if a player needs time for the decision after tryout than they most likely are headed to additional tryouts...and that's great.

Having said this, if the vibe feels right, take the offer immediately. A team will appreciate your eagerness to join them.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
DD is moving up from 12U to 14U. Her current organization fields a 14U team, which the majority of her current 12U team will move up to. DD enjoys the company of her team mates, but she also has her mind set to try out for another local well respected organization, who is fielding a brand new 14U team, this Fall/Spring.

DD will attend try-outs for both organizations, get a feel for the new team and make her choice once any offers are extended.

Jun 16, 2010
I don't see relevance in who runs tryouts first or last, so much has to do with scheduling and logistics.

I believe honesty is best policy. If you go to tryout and feel it's a possibility but not sure, and you are picked, tell them you need some time and go to another tryout. From the coaching side, we always know if a player needs time for the decision after tryout than they most likely are headed to additional tryouts...and that's great.

Having said this, if the vibe feels right, take the offer immediately. A team will appreciate your eagerness to join them.

What comonly happens is the best teams announce tryouts, and everyone else puts theirs before that, or at least at the same time to force girls to choose. They dont want all the talented girls to tryout for the best team around first, and then the ones that do not make it come try out for theirs. That would insure the same teams remain superior year after year. That is also why they will pressure girls to commit immediately after offering a spot.

If a player is really good, she will always have a place to play, and she should shoot for the best team she can make. If she is avg, she has to weigh her options carefully.

Feb 24, 2010
Call the organization/coach of the team she really wants to play for and speak to him/her. Ask what positions they are looking for, playing time, etc. - this may help you in that they may only be looking for a position that your DD does not play, or they are only looking for a 4th pitcher in an emergency, which could make this decision really easy for you. You can also ask for a private tryout, and explain why. Most coaches and organizations will help you find the right fit - if not, they will not be around too much longer. And the word will get out.

Sep 3, 2009
Interesting to hear how tryouts are done in other areas of the country. Here, "generally" the better teams have theirs first. Most will do private tryouts, unless they're going to nationals, then they're done after. Of course, a team coming back from nationals is probably only looking for 1 or 2 studs and has an idea who who/what they are looking for. The high-level national caliber teams don't have public tryouts at all for the most part. The good teams here usually have theirs early. By second week of August, teams are scrambling...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00