Moving up or not

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2011
Monmouth County NJ
My DD plays 10U, she turned 10 last Febuary and she is now starting her second year of travel ball. She started taking pitching lessons in the early spring and I'm told she'll be seeing her fair share in the circle this summer. Her coach told me the other day that instead of spliting the team into a 10U and a 12U team for the fall, they're just going to do a 12U team.

While she holds her own on the team and is one of the better players, I'm having a problem with her moving up. I coach baseball and I've never really understood we some parents are so big on having their childern play up. Maybe baseball is different because it goes every year instead of every two years. But I believe that kids should play in their age group, here's a few reasons. If she stays 10U, odds are she'll get more time in the circle next spring. Another is why would I want her playing against players that pitch harder and hit futher then she's used to seeing. It could end up hurting her confidence.

Maybe I'm being a little over protective but I feel that untill they get into playing school ball they should play with their own age group.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
If your DD turned 10 in Feb. of this year, next spring she cannot play 10U, and must move up. Many coaches put their TB teams together in the fall and work all winter for the following spring/summer seasons. If your DD wants to stay with this team, she will be moving up at the right time.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
DD can play 10U next year as the cut-off is her
age on January 1, 2012. As a pitcher, the transition from 10U to 12U
involves moving up to a 12" softball and moving the rubber back from
35' to 40'. This age move is the single biggest transition for a pitcher.
Play up in the fall and see how she does, if she is ready, go for it, if
she is not ready, find her a 10U team in the spring.

May 24, 2011
Monmouth County NJ

Thanks I haven't thought about that.

Feb 3, 2011
If her desire is to become a pitcher, she should probably stay down. But if pitching is just something she only wants to do every once in a while, move her up with her team as a position player.

Sep 3, 2009

I would get 3rd, 4th, and even 5th opinions on your dd's ability as a pitcher, at 12u. That is a HUGE transition for any pitcher, and that will be the biggest hurdle she will face as a pitcher. If she can nail her spots at 40' now, with a 12" ball, then you've got no problems. But in all honesty, I think it's a little late to start working on that transition in time for fall ball, and expect to see a "fair share of circle time".

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
I would move her up. Here is my thought behind it. As a player that just turned 10 in February, she is probably in the 5th grade going into sixth. Most of the kids she goes to school with are going to be first year 12U. They are the kids she will be competing with as she gets older. I would leave her with kids in her grade, rather than be the oldest kid on the team. She may dominate 10U for a year, but will fall behind the other first year 12U girls. May not seem like much now, but by the time she is playing 14U, she will want to push herself. My DD is an October birthday and is competing against kids a grade ahead of her. She will be better off when she enters HS because of the extra year of competition.

Jun 24, 2009
My DD has a Feb. birthday also. She is a pitcher too. I kinda agree on the grade thing.If she is a good pitcher she can handle it fine. If she is a little behind leave her in 10u to build confidence as a pitcher but she will have to play catch up a few years competing with girls in her grade. 12inch ball is the biggest transition she will face as a pitcher. Mine only played 1 year 10u,2 years 12u and now plays 14u but is 12 u eligible . Keep her where she is challenged but can compete.

Nov 29, 2009
Maybe baseball is different because it goes every year instead of every two years. But I believe that kids should play in their age group

Everyone gets hung up on the whole age thing. Age means absolutely SQUAT!!!!!!!! It comes down to ability!!! You have to ask yourself one question and answer it honestly. Can she play at that level? I don't mean being a stud, but able to compete. If she can handle it physically then you're doing her a huge disservice by not putting her there.

Sam Findlay from the Bandits was playing 18U ball when she was 14 because she could handle the competition.

I had a long conversation with a dad last night on the phone about the exact same thing. His daughter who is a stud as a 1st year 14U player has been asked to play up on a very competitive 16U team for next year. I asked him if he knew without a doubt she could compete at that level. He knew the answer to the question. He just needed someone to ask it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid