Moving up from 10U to 12U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 3, 2009
Rec. Ball only. Our girls were eliminated from our LL tourny last night after having won three games which tied a town record. So it was an accomplishment but a disappointing loss as we felt that we had the team to compete with everyone in our district this year.

Anyway, starting with this upcoming fall season my daughter, who just turned 11, will be moving up 12U which means 12" ball and 40' as opposed to 35'. Just curious what people feel is the more difficult adjustment of the two, the ball or the distance?
Any advice for helping her to make the adjustment would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

Jun 18, 2010
For my DD neither seemed to be a difficult adjustment. We started out playing overhand toss with the 12" ball having her get used to the grip and size. I started her practicing with the 12" at 35' and would end the practice by moving the bucket back a foot after ever few pitches until I would get to 40'-42'. We did this for a few practices. After she was used to 40', I would still end the practice by gradually moving back to 43'. My DD will be transitioning to 14U so she will be moving to 43'. I have been having her practice this entire spring at 43' so no real transition (as far as practice goes) for us for the move to 14U. I didn't think about playing underhand catch (found that on this site), but I would strongly suggest that too.

Jul 6, 2011
I start my pitchers doing distance drills before they move up and I have found that most have no problem with the additional distance. The main problems that girls have are; gripping the ball if their hands are still small and some girls will slow their arm circle down with the bigger ball. I will spend time doing "the knee drill" and "rapid fire" to work on keeping their arm speed up. Most girls adjust just fine. I have seen a few "sizzle out" that dominated at the 10u level because they need to work hard to regain speed etc.

Jan 25, 2011
My DD will be transitioning to 14U so she will be moving to 43'. I have been having her practice this entire spring at 43' so no real transition (as far as practice goes) for us for the move to 14U. What association? do you move up to 43' in 14u.High school is the only one I know of that you would have to pitch at 43' at the 14u age.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
My DD will be transitioning to 14U so she will be moving to 43'. I have been having her practice this entire spring at 43' so no real transition (as far as practice goes) for us for the move to 14U. What association? do you move up to 43' in 14u.High school is the only one I know of that you would have to pitch at 43' at the 14u age.

At 14U, USSSA and PONY are at 43 feet. ASA is still at 40. Not sure about NSA, but I think it's 43.

Jun 18, 2010
What association? do you move up to 43' in 14u.High school is the only one I know of that you would have to pitch at 43' at the 14u age.

Nanotech14, our LL is governed by USSSA.

USSSA FAST PITCH RULES & BY-LAWS
TENTH EDITION

Rule Changes
Rule 1.1 Pitching Distances – Pitching distance for 13U on up will be 43 Ft.

Divisions Female
Coach Pitch 35 Ft.
Machine Pitch 35 Ft.
8 & Under 35 Ft.
9 & Under 35 Ft.
10 & Under 35 Ft.
11 & Under 40 Ft.
12 & Under 40 Ft.
13 & Under 43 Ft.
14 & Under 43 Ft.
15 & Under 43 Ft.
16 & Under 43 Ft.
18 & Under 43 Ft.
Women’s Open 43 Ft.

Jan 25, 2011
Thanks you ,knightsb I was wondering what other governing bodys say. Sorry about the hack shop I did on your earlier post,long day.

May 7, 2010
neither, from what i've seen with my pitchers and my daughter- they have an easier time with the 12" than the 11". much better control. the jump from 36' (for us) to 40 cut down on the high balls. my daughter was scared to the point of not wanting to pitch, she thought she would kill someone with an 11" from 36'. and as her practice catcher i wasn't thrilled either :)
just my 2 cents

May 25, 2010
More than likely, the trickier part will be adjusting to the feel of the larger ball. She'll be fine, though.

Jul 21, 2008
I don't think the ball size or the extra distance is the problem most girls face when moving up to 12u. What you will see is the pitcher will get hit much harder and more often because the extra 5 ft really helps the hitters. They have more time to see the ball and make adjustments. Hitting location becomes the priority at 12u along with developing a good change.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad