Moving to 43'

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2008
Not necessarily her favorite, but it sure wasn't working this weekend. It drops great.....about 4 inches in front of the plate.:rolleyes:

As I would figure........

There is what I call "reach the catcher" syndrome which creates problems when moving to 43ft for most young pitchers.......

In order for most young pitchers who've been successful at 40' to "reach the catch" at 43', the ball must be released at a higher trajectory in order for it to cross the plate at the same height as from 40'.

Although the pitch my appear to cross the plate at the same height, the trajectory it follows to get there is coming from a higher plane. Closer to the hitters hands and eyes.........

So although your DD may have enough velocity to "reach the catcher" from 43', it's very likely NOT enough velocity YET, to maintain the same plane that was succesfull at 40'.........

Time, strength and maturity is the ONLY fix for "reach the catcher" syndrome.........And of course, patience and hard work........

One thing that can help mitigate this syndrome is to make sure the catcher is as close as possible to the plate without: indangering herself......Or blocking the plate view from the umpire......

The reason I asked about drop is because obviously from the nature of the pitch itself, the younger pitcher is compelled to throw it MUCH HIGHER to "reach the catcher".......Combine this with a catcher that "likes to leave some room" between the hitter and herself.......And you have a recipe for disaster......

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
At mid to upper 50s, is "reaching the catcher syndrome" really the issue? If the velocity estimate is accurate, my assessment is that the U16 hitters are simply better and more experienced than the U14s she's dominated. If she's got 3 pitches (FB, CU, drop), as a hitter I'd mentally reduce her to a 2-pitch pitcher (e.g., be willing to give her the drop (until reaching 2 strikes), and look for the FB and adjust to the change. Sounds like she has other movement pitches, but hasn't mastered them yet - even so, I'd throw them just enough to try to keep the hitters from locking in the straight balls.

My 2 cents for what its worth - GM

May 11, 2009
I guess I live in a totally different environment then most. I cannot really say that a lot of 13 year old girls in my area have enough experience to simply jump back 3' and hit a drop dead on without making some adjustments. For my DD she worked on getting it to break at the right time and spot and her velocity is good for her age so that is not an issue but the extra 3' required some adjustment. I do not feel that this makes her no less of a "pitcher". That is just my opinion though.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I guess I live in a totally different environment then most. I cannot really say that a lot of 13 year old girls in my area have enough experience to simply jump back 3' and hit a drop dead on without making some adjustments.

Even our middle school has gone to 43. So some have 11 year olds trying to throw 43.

No one makes the move without adjustment. It's just normal. Don't get frustrated, try to remember how things were at 9-10 trying to master 40. Repetition is the best training tool.

Jul 14, 2008
What, may I ask, would be a better pitch than a drop for a young pitcher to be pitching as she adjusts to 43 feet?

Oh there isn't a "better pitch" then drop from 43ft. It's just the nature of the pitch lends itself to more "adjustment period" then say, curve ball.......

Which is why "reach the catcher" syndrome causes problems with the initial adjustment.........Since I'm assuming you, like me are a veteran fastpitch pitcher, imagine what would happen IF you had to throw your drop from 50ft. Initially, the FIRST adjustment to figure out release and trajectory would be to bring it UP in the zone........OR bounce it in the ground........

It won't take long for any decent pitcher to adjust to 43ft. But that adjustment period can be a bit painful.........Which is what I think the original poster is experiencing now.........

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
To answer the original question: The reason she was getting lit up is the hitters are older, better hitters. Shes not going to simply overpower them like she might have done many of the younger girls. Pitch placement and "working" the batter become much more important, ie.. this is when she learns how to really pitch, not just throw it by them

The good pitchers I have seen have had little trouble adjusting to 43, or back and forth between 40 and 43 from week to week. Its not a big deal. Facing the better hitters is, and thats why they do it. The biggest issue I have noticed is rise balls miss high a lot more, a problem when that has been thier go to pitch.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414