Moving to 12u for the Fall

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
For the fall DD has been asked to move up an age division, from 10U to 12U. The 12U Team needs a pitcher and they know DD. She has not played for either coach before but we like them both.

DD was a little above average pitcher in the spring and has been working on it. I think come spring she will be one of the better 10U pitchers.

She has the personality and ability to compete with the older girls with everything but pitching, pitching is a big question a mark.

The way things are shaking out she would be by far the best player on her 10U fall ball team but certainly not the best in the League.

She has been working on the longer distance but not with the bigger ball. She only has a “fast” ball so I think she can make the switch to the longer distance and ball size. 1st game is a week and ½ a way.

10U fall ball she would probably be one of the better pitchers in the League, again not the best. 12U I think she would be OK and in the middle of the pack.

Regardless of what she plays in the fall, DD will probably play 10U next spring. I am not sure what to do. Both DD and wife want to move to 12U but I think it is a bad idea.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
If your DD wants to move up, I would support her. Pitching with the bigger ball and the longer distance will only help her improve. Even if she plays 10U in the spring, it will not be a problem to move to the smaller ball and shorter distance. The fall is a great time to experiment.

Jan 12, 2011
Vienna, VA
I'd prefer to have her stay in 10U too but I'd let her make the choice after going over the pros and cons again with her. Once she chooses though she needs to stick with it though even if she gets "rocked" or walks a bunch in that first game.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
The move to 12U with the ball size and distance does take a bit of an adjustment. Plus the girls do hit the ball harder. If DD can throw strikes with the bigger ball and longer distance, give it a go. Let DD make the decision for herself.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mtgeremesz