Movement and use of the back leg

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
jbooth,
I believe post #61 is the "Holy Grail" of the bottom half for hitting.The last paragraph is explained in a way a "idiot" like me could understand and hopefully teach my DD.This my help her get more power in her swing.Thx

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
IMO, there is nothing wrong with the back leg motion she uses; but here are what I believe are the subtle differences from a kinesiology view.

By pushing off of the ball of the foot and directing the knee toward second base, you get a little bit less external rotation of the femur and later forceful abduction, than you do using what I teach. You still get the leg driving the hips, and the glutes are being used, but not quite in the same sequence, and not with as early application of force.

Your action reduces the amount of valgus knee bend (the knee bending sideways, inward toward the front foot), because your move eliminates most of the external rotation of the femur and concentrates more on the abduction.

Your move has some abduction that moves the knee out, and then the explosive abduction occurs right after that. The move that I advocate, immediately explodes force into moving the hip and torso into shift and rotation.

Watch how his back knee gets valgus bend. This happens because he is keeping his heel down, and his femur is externally rotating. If he lifted his heel and directed the knee at the shortstop, this wouldn't happen and he would look like your DD.

Hamilton59d.gif

His heel comes up when he cannot ER any farther and his knee cannot valgus bend any farther, and the abduction occurs at the beginning and continues until the weight is completely shifted.

We dont teach it that way. Getting tired of explaining it.

SL

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Don't teach what Hamilton is doing, or did you mean that I incorrectly described what you teach?

I was trying to detail the differences.

I also never worked with hamilton. You have no idea what his swing thoughts are unless you are his hitting coach...

And the swing you posted I think his upper body got ahead in that one swing

SL

Last edited:
May 16, 2010
I also never worked with hamilton. You have no idea what his swing thoughts are unless you are his hitting coach...

And the swing you posted I think his upper body got ahead in that one swing

SL

I don't need to know what his swing thoughts are. I can see how his bones are moving, and I know how the body makes those moves. Likewise with your DD, I don't need to know what she is thinking or feeling. I can see that she moves differently, and I know how her body is making the move. It's called kinesiology, or the study of human movement. Using knowledge of biomechanics and anatomy.

You didn't answer my question, but from your answer I will assume that you meant you don't teach the move Hamilton makes.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
I don't need to know what his swing thoughts are. I can see how his bones are moving, and I know how the body makes those moves. Likewise with your DD, I don't need to know what she is thinking or feeling. I can see that she moves differently, and I know how her body is making the move. It's called kinesiology, or the study of human movement. Using knowledge of biomechanics and anatomy.

You didn't answer my question, but from your answer I will assume that you meant you don't teach the move Hamilton makes.

My dd is also doing a slow motion swing which is different than Hamilton doing a full speed swing. Cant compare the two.
Two totaly different swing thoughts.

He is game time watching a ball coming in
My dd is demonstrating the different parts of a swing in slow motion.

And it looks to me Hamilton got the upper body ahead in that swing his hands went to far past the stripe of his back pants leg.
Maybe he got fooled on an off speed. I dont know I was not there.

No I dont teach that swing he did...upper body ahead of lower body. If you do that is fine, but I dont...

SL

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2012
My dd is also doing a slow motion swing which is different than Hamilton doing a full speed swing. Cant compare the two.
Two totaly different swing thoughts.

He is game time watching a ball coming in
My dd is demonstrating the different parts of a swing in slow motion.

And it looks to me Hamilton got the upper body ahead in that swing his hands went to far past the stripe of his back pants leg.
Maybe he got fooled on an off speed. I dont know I was not there.

No I dont teach that swing he did...upper body ahead of lower body. If you do that is fine, but I dont...

SL[/

Most hitting instructors around our area would agree with SL that it has to start with the lower body. Hands will come through only after the lower-body initiates.

JBooth, can you get a few more clips of Hamilton swinging labeling the precise pitches he was attacking per swing?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors