more video to analyze

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 22, 2008
NW Pennsylvania
OK here we go again- one thing I am learning is that this is not an overnight 5 minute fix!! Anyway- I set her up with a pole behind her in hope that it would help her mentaly with not dropping the barrell so bad. We also tried to get set in a little more athletic position, & I let her stride a little- in the past, stride was a huge problem. First clip is off the tee & second is front toss. My evaluation is- I see (maybe wishful thinking) improvement in most areas off the tee, & during front toss, she is so concentrated on getting solid contact, that the barrell drops & the rear elbow leads the hands ( virtually no improvement)Please help me ressurect the titanic :D

YouTube - LL bp 12-14-09

YouTube - LL bp front toss 12-14-09

BTW Mark- I do appreciate your candor- I dont want to hear that she has a good swing- I want her to HAVE a good swing. also DD got quite a kick out of the titanic thing ;)

Oct 12, 2009
My evaluation is- I see (maybe wishful thinking) improvement in most areas off the tee, & during front toss, she is so concentrated on getting solid contact, that the barrell drops & the rear elbow leads the hands ( virtually no improvement)Please help me ressurect the titanic :D

She's not there, but this is hopeful and an improvement.

At a minimum, she looks much more athletic (and she's got some intent which is either there or it isn't).

Was she taught/told to swing level to the ground? I ask because she still has major swing plane issue and I wonder if that is related to some of the bat drag.

Do you understand the concept of tilt?

She also looks like she's pushing her hands through the Point Of Contact, which creates a problem with disconnection and a problem with how well the bat head whips.

Nov 29, 2009
[
YouTube - LL bp 12-14-09

I see great improvement overall. Not perfect but great strides in the right direction. Connection is always better if contact with the ball is deeper. Inside pitch close to even with the front of the hip. Outside midline of the torso. As far as making better contact with the ball have her look at the ball in a different way. Have her look at only the spot she wants to make contact on the ball as if she is trying to peer inside that spot. One last point she is opening up without completing extension. just have her try to stay long with the ball. Good Luck. I have already seen good improvement in just a few days keep it up she is making really good progress.

Aug 2, 2008
To me the bottom half looks pretty good, I don't think I would mess with anything there just yet. I agree with tilt and swing plane being a problem. She starts off tilted (bent at waist over the plate) but stands erect at contact. She also appears to be over extended at contact, almost fully extended. Which I believe would be the push Chris is talking about. Just watched the video again. More tilt, and maintain it throughout the swing. And no pushing with the hands. Sorry, not sure how to better explain, except to get Englishbeys 1st video. Looking better though.

Mike

May 22, 2008
NW Pennsylvania
thanks for the encouragement- & yes Chris I do understand the swing plane issue- I just yesterday showed her how you can swing a golf club & hit a ball on the ground as opposed to having to swing level. I never taught her that, but I am sure somewhere along the line some well meaning, clueless coach has told her "swing level sweetheart" just like I was told a thousand times "step into it Lane".

Aug 2, 2008
Rotational Hitting 101 by Chris O'Leary

JC.
If you have not already, go to this link. It is really heplful in illustrating proper tilt. Understanding this and being able to explain it to my daughters has been very helpful. Tilt is underestimated in my opinion. Maintaining proper tilt through the swing helps with the swing plane issue.

R

RayR

OK here we go again- one thing I am learning is that this is not an overnight 5 minute fix!! Anyway- I set her up with a pole behind her in hope that it would help her mentaly with not dropping the barrell so bad. We also tried to get set in a little more athletic position, & I let her stride a little- in the past, stride was a huge problem. First clip is off the tee & second is front toss. My evaluation is- I see (maybe wishful thinking) improvement in most areas off the tee, & during front toss, she is so concentrated on getting solid contact, that the barrell drops & the rear elbow leads the hands ( virtually no improvement)Please help me ressurect the titanic :D

YouTube - LL bp 12-14-09

BTW Mark- I do appreciate your candor- I dont want to hear that she has a good swing- I want her to HAVE a good swing. also DD got quite a kick out of the titanic thing ;)

JC, I meant to put something behind her (her backside - not towards the catcher). That way if the bat drops it will hit it. Maybe tie a rope to the column and string about shoulder height.

OK, the tee swing does look better.

The front toss you can try a couple of things. She is not loading/creating a negative move or creating separation or a running start of the lower body. She is striding and dropping the barrel.

You can try to have her start her hands down and foward and tell as she strides to bring her hands up and back where they need to be to swing. A guide is getting the front elbow behind the belly button by toe touch. Show her the Bustos clip. She strides as you toss (the timing will be touch and go at first). Practice this move on the tee first.

The other thing to try is to put some speed on the toss (as little arc as possible) so that she doesn't have time to drop the barrel.

Also, she should hear your voice everytime she drops the barrel so that maybe she gets sick of you saying it.:)

It's a good start. Keep it up.

CrystalBustos_Olympics.gif

May 22, 2008
NW Pennsylvania
i have an idea here...maybe its a bad one, but watching the video, especially bustos, i wonder if i added significant weight to the barrell of the bat(like maybe 10 pounds or so)what would happen? what I am thinking is if you had a very heavy end load, & you started to drop the barrell that it would just get away from you & you couldnt control it. I think the only way you could even hope to swing it would be to start it foreward on a good swing plane like Bustos does. heck I might even patent this & get filthy rich:D:D seriously does anyone else think this would work to get proper barrell flight???

Nov 29, 2009
. heck I might even patent this & get filthy rich:D:D seriously does anyone else think this would work to get proper barrell flight???[/QUOTE]

No you will destroy what you have already worked for.

Nov 29, 2009
I can't believe individuals want to teach tilt. The video that is being used is of a chest high pitch. What do you guys think a hitter gains by tilt?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole