more video to analyze

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

R

RayR

OK we have been working on the bat drag specificlly- off the tee she conquers the bat drag, at the expense of a choppy swing, & here is a link to a front toss- I think the bat drag is better than before , but still there- comments, or ideas??

YouTube - LL Bat Drag

Here are some stills from the front toss clip.

R

RayR

OK, didn't have time last night to complete my post.

She needs to create better barrel control.

Have her watch these 2 clips and try to mimic the loading actions. How she gets the bat back as she strides and how the barrel does not drop at all.

Video her swings trying to copy Bustos. Review them with her and talk about the differences. Then try again.

Have pay attention to the front view clip and bat angle. Video her from the front if you can as well.

CrystalBustos_Olympics.gif
BustosHR.gif

May 12, 2008
OK, didn't have time last night to complete my post.

She needs to create better barrel control.

In my view that is rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. It's an arm and upper body swing with huge bat drag from a standing straight up position. There is no part of this swing that is close. Again, get in an athletic position and have her do her dry swing/no ball, no tee interpretation of the swing clip I linked. She can practice it for awhile first in front of a mirror. First slower and then speeding it up as she can. Let's see what that looks like. The good news is, she looks quite physically capable. Plenty of upside if someone teaches her what to do with her body and that stick in her hands. If you can't see what I'm talking about well enough to go AH HA I see your point, you might want to find an instructor in your area that comes well recommended. Then use video of elite hitters to check the instructor's advice and learn as you go along. Siggy's Hitting Clips - ImageEvent

R

RayR

In my view that is rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. It's an arm and upper body swing with huge bat drag from a standing straight up position. There is no part of this swing that is close. Again, get in an athletic position and have her do her dry swing/no ball, no tee interpretation of the swing clip I linked. She can practice it for awhile first in front of a mirror. First slower and then speeding it up as she can. Let's see what that looks like. The good news is, she looks quite physically capable. Plenty of upside if someone teaches her what to do with her body and that stick in her hands. If you can't see what I'm talking about well enough to go AH HA I see your point, you might want to find an instructor in your area that comes well recommended. Then use video of elite hitters to check the instructor's advice and learn as you go along. Siggy's Hitting Clips - ImageEvent

That's pretty funny - rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic...

You mean to tell me if she didn't get the barrel under control she wouldn't have a much different looking swing? She wouldn't have figured out posture to a certain extent where we would all be gushing over her swing? Do you see any hitters with a good swing plane and crappy posture?

I would choose to fix the swing plane to get her hitting more consistently and let her posture adjust to her swing plane. It has worked in the past for me and JC's daughter is no different then the girls I helped. Changing her posture does not automatically fix barrel dumping and bat drag.

I guess my main question is when you see a player with a good swing plane (minus the barrel dumping and bat drag) did they get there by working on posture or did they intuitively know how to swing a bat?

Second point is emulating Bustos is including her lower half.

May 12, 2008
If you don't start from a good place you won't likely end in a good place.

Attachments

• HankAaron5.jpg
    HankAaron5.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 3
Oct 12, 2009
I would choose to fix the swing plane to get her hitting more consistently and let her posture adjust to her swing plane. It has worked in the past for me and JC's daughter is no different then the girls I helped. Changing her posture does not automatically fix barrel dumping and bat drag.

So you're good with her standing bolt upright and flatfooted with her knees locked out?

She's got a dead lower half and one of the most top-down swings I've ever seen.

May 12, 2008
MTS,

CO has said it eloquently and clearly. I cannot agree with not being brutally honest with a parent about their kid's swing. A youth career is too short and precious.

R

RayR

Where did I gush over her swing? I said the new swings had the same barrel action - meaning no improvement IMO.

Here is a hitter that I coached. Is this swing elite? Of course not, but she hit 200 points higher going from this swing :

mhbefore.gif

to what you see in this game clip working mostly on swing plane drills.

MHvwindam.gif

These swings were taken about 3 months apart. IMO, swing plane drills get the biggest bang for your buck. Clean up the barrel path and the body needs to change what it does.

BTW, I think its contradictive to say that a youth career is short and then advise against attacking the flaw that is preventing her from achieving some success at the plate.

And Chris - check the attitude. You know I am not endorsing a locked knee swing...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd