more drama from Florida v Auburn

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 5, 2016
I've looked that the clip many times and it seems to me that he expected her hand to be up for a high five and it wasn't so his hand didn't meet an resistance and he ended up tapping her. It doesn't really look like he was even making eye contact with her. I understand that there is a history with the Fagans and Coach Walton, but I just can't imagine any good reason why Walton would want to trigger an incident like this. I realize I am in a distinct minority with this view, but it seems to me more like a miscue that has been blown up into an international incident.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
I've looked that the clip many times and it seems to me that he expected her hand to be up for a high five and it wasn't so his hand didn't meet an resistance and he ended up tapping her. It doesn't really look like he was even making eye contact with her. I understand that there is a history with the Fagans and Coach Walton, but I just can't imagine any good reason why Walton would want to trigger an incident like this. I realize I am in a distinct minority with this view, but it seems to me more like a miscue that has been blown up into an international incident.

Keep looking at the video. And then try it for yourself. That wasn't an accidental touch ...

Feb 7, 2013
I definitely think TW was wrongly sending a message to Fagan that he wasn't happy about her attitude not high-5ing him and the other coaches after their games with Auburn.

With that said, I don't think he had any other choice but to kick her sisters off on the Florida team a few years ago. Having recruited them and with the knowledge that they are very good players, I'm sure it was a tough decision to get rid of them. My kids have been on teams where one or two cancers on the team really hurt the experience and bonding of the team. Sometimes you have to cut your losses. Players need to grow up and not act so childish (same goes for the coaches and parents of players).

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
At first I was also thinking it was accidental. But when you watch the slo-mo GIF from [MENTION=2313]knightsb[/MENTION] and watch Waltons wrist, to me it seems to be a deliberate action.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Exactly. And it was so petty.

He knew there was bad blood between him and her family.

Even assuming he was 100% right and her sisters 100% wrong in the way that was handled, he should've just let things be. OK, so li'l sis won't high 5 me, so what?

Sep 18, 2011
At first I was also thinking it was accidental. But when you watch the slo-mo GIF from [MENTION=2313]knightsb[/MENTION] and watch Waltons wrist, to me it seems to be a deliberate action.

I usually agree with you but not this time. He makes the exact same motion with the player after Fagan. Only difference is that on that occasion his hand met resistance. Obviously I could be wrong, but I believe this was an accidental missed high five and not a deliberate shove. He should have been paying better attention, though And nobody could ever accuse me of being a Gator fan

Dec 11, 2010

Another reason that we should not do wrist flicks!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez