more Dallas E.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 18, 2010
Stuck at another airport. :(

Ok, they get more velocity. Find out how many also have shoulder discomfort. If they are honest, nearly all will say Yes especially later in life as they get older. 99% that do this backswing lock their elbow, only 1% unlock it on the downswing. It over uses the shoulder and disengages the elbow. This also prohibits them from getting in the right position for a riseball.

It's not my rule, don't blame me. I didn't invent the riseball or how to throw it. I'm just telling you what works and what doesn't. Most who do this get bullet spin or 'corkscrew' spin. The body is not designed to get under the ball the correct way if the elbow is locked. Blame God or Evolution, whichever is your preference.

Bill

Bill

Here is the link to the POE for pitching from the Aussie website and based on the document you can still hide the ball. However, the key point is that you must seperate the hands prior to the front stride foot landing. This does not go against what you demonstrate in your teaching and videos.

Softball Australia - Technical Bulletins

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Bill

Here is the link to the POE for pitching from the Aussie website and based on the document you can still hide the ball. However, the key point is that you must seperate the hands prior to the front stride foot landing. This does not go against what you demonstrate in your teaching and videos.

Softball Australia - Technical Bulletins

Having watched the Adam Folkard video, I definitely see him separating the ball hand from the glove prior to the stride foot touching down to the ground. So what again is the controversy? In fact, a pitcher would lose a lot of their transfer of energy (forward momentum that is abruptly stopped by foot plant) if they did not separate the hands prior to the foot plant. They would essentially be pitching with all upper body (arm circle and arm whip) to generate speed and using very little of the "leap" and leg drive, if that makes sense.

Aug 21, 2008
all due respect guys, this is what I was talking about with inconsistencies. The real problem is not the STRIDE leg coming down, it's the push off. Meaning, he is crow hopping which is now legal in ISF play but the hands must be separate. Even the news articles are confused about what's legal.

Aug 21, 2008
Lozza

the next world series is 2 years away, in New Zealand. It'll have to be sorted out before then. There was a lot of "DIP's" (Dreaded Illegal Pitches) in the 2009 ISF and they were/are looking for how to stop that from happening. The simple minded will just say "Pitch legally then" but it's not that simple. Bats and balls used today make the game lopsided in the other way. So they have to find a way to update the pitching rules, just as the technology keeps growing offensively.

If my body holds up for 2 more years, I may consider a possible return to the US team. But the way I feel now... 2 years may as well be 20 years.

BTW Lozza, Folkard will be here (my house) next weekend. He lives with me during the summer, even though we are on rival teams. For the other poster, Folkard got clocked at 86 last year at the ISC world tournament. Virtually unhitable.

Bill

Mar 13, 2010
the next world series is 2 years away, in New Zealand. It'll have to be sorted out before then. There was a lot of "DIP's" (Dreaded Illegal Pitches) in the 2009 ISF and they were/are looking for how to stop that from happening. The simple minded will just say "Pitch legally then" but it's not that simple. Bats and balls used today make the game lopsided in the other way. So they have to find a way to update the pitching rules, just as the technology keeps growing offensively.

If my body holds up for 2 more years, I may consider a possible return to the US team. But the way I feel now... 2 years may as well be 20 years.

BTW Lozza, Folkard will be here (my house) next weekend. He lives with me during the summer, even though we are on rival teams. For the other poster, Folkard got clocked at 86 last year at the ISC world tournament. Virtually unhitable.

Hopefully (for Australia's sake!) this is sorted out. It would be such a shame to run some of the top pitchers out of the game, or have the games be 'illegal pitch' fests. We're a struggling sport as it is.

And like you said the bats are top notch now. I'm old enough to remember when the pitchers dominated (which is why they moved the women back) now it's the other way round. They need to find a happy medium.

I've never met Adam, but I have seen him pitch and I almost died. He's AMAZING. I would be terrified to step into the box and face him and I've faced female Australian pitchers without breaking a sweat. (and even some of NSW's top male pitchers) It's just jaw dropping how good he is and how fast.

Aug 21, 2008
I'm sure it'll get sorted out. Rumors are abound that a rival country was pushing for this rule change to rein in Adam's dominance.

Yes, you're right. it's hard for people on this board, who've never seen it, to understand how hard he throws. It's impossible to comprehend without seeing it yourself. While most men's major level pitchers throw with speeds and movement that will make a lot of people on here have their jaws drop open, Adam is even more special.

Bill

Mar 13, 2010
I'm sure it'll get sorted out. Rumors are abound that a rival country was pushing for this rule change to rein in Adam's dominance.

That's the theory I've heard here too.

Yes, you're right. it's hard for people on this board, who've never seen it, to understand how hard he throws. It's impossible to comprehend without seeing it yourself. While most men's major level pitchers throw with speeds and movement that will make a lot of people on here have their jaws drop open, Adam is even more special.

Like I said, I grew up in the same assocation as a lot of the top men's pitchers in my state. I was playing them as a junior, when some of them were at their prime. One of them was throwing 110km an hour at 17. I fouled him off. I'm not sure if it's the fact I've known him since I was a little boy that made me less scared of facing him, but I know after seeing AF pitch, I don't think I could get into the batting box against him. He's just THAT fast and THAT good.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sterp