Montana Fouts needs to come here and learn that her palm has to be up at 9 o'clock

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
When she it pitching well, I often wonder why batters don't just guess more(sit on the rise ball or drop ball and also take more pitches) because trying too see the ball and react isn't working. If the batter guesses wrong she will look bad but guessing might give the batter a puncher's chance.
How do you know they aren't doing this.. ;) . I am sure hitters did that against Bob Gibson in 1968 and his ERA was still 1.12

Last edited:

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
When she it pitching well, I often wonder why batters don't just guess more(sit on the rise ball or drop ball and also take more pitches) because trying too see the ball and react isn't working. If the batter guesses wrong she will look bad but guessing might give the batter a puncher's chance.

At 70+ mph, that is undoubtedly true. IMO, it's what a hitter has to do in that situation. Decide in advance what they're looking for, put a good swing on it, and leave the rest alone. What kills batters at all levels is letting a good first strike go by or fouling it off, and getting behind. What baffles me is when they swing at something that is belt-high and rising or running down and away when the umpire shows zero inclination to call that pitch a strike. I think some of them simply panic.

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
The WCWS historically seems to be where good offense meets better pitching and defense. Arizona, like every other team there, has some good hitters. All appeared baffled by that 70+ mph rising fastball. Batters are hitting a buck eighty three against Fouts this year. If you're Fouts' parents, coach, team mate, or an Alabama fan, you love the K's, but to the softball fan wanting to see something happen, it's reminding me too much of what I don't like about MLB.
What is wrong with a great pitcher dominating a game?

Chris Delorit

Apr 24, 2016
Green Bay, WI
She brought her "A" game to the main stage and made a case that set the standard to beat.

Just a couple short years ago as a freshman, she made a similar statement against Oklahoma in Game 1. Unfortunately, she wasn't rewarded with Game 2. The rest as they say ... is history. She'll be on a mission for more reasons than one.

Would be interested to know who's worked with her pitching mechanics over the years.

Oct 16, 2019
Montana's father does softball lessons nearby- both pitching and hitting - Tim. He is the one who has worked with her since she was 7 on pitching, that is when she started pitching according what he told me last fall. When you walk into his building, he has on display so many of her awards and accolades from her college, HS and travel ball career...just like any father would. He is a great teacher and DD#2 loved working with him the few times we were able to go - she is 9. DD has even went into catch for one of his pitching students during a lesson. She wants to go back and learn to pitch, but she really needs some help with her bat right now. :) Montana has never been there any of the times we were there, but DD really is hoping to meet her one day.

Aug 21, 2008
I'll wager that she doesn't have as many pitches as the average 12yo discussed here. :cool:

In reality, pitchers like her make an otherwise fast-paced and interesting game very boring to watch.

I'd wager she has less pitches than the after 12 yo discussed here. Most of those pitchers are discussed having 8 pitches from their parent or coach, I would bet the farm Fouts throws 3 (maybe 4).

My only question to the opening post on this thread, with the still photos is not knowing what pitch is being thrown. Is it a change up? If so, that would account for anything looking out of norm since pitchers typically do things opposite when throwing this pitch. Things that are done go generate speed in pitching are reversed in most change ups. We don't want the kinetic whip motion of elbow, wrist then fingers. But we need the motion to look identical to anything thrown fast. This action is why some great pitcher's weakest pitch is sometimes the change up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez