Monday Brag 9-12

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2015
Brag time! go :)

Mine picked up Saturday, got to win some hardware for her birthday. It was a lower level tournament than she should have been in (the original one the director decided to make all 07 teams, so they had to switch) but I was happy to see her hitting again. She FINALLY was waiting on the slower pitching. She hit a couple of screaming grounders down the 3B line early on, then as she got better at waiting hit a bonafide homerun. It was a bomb into right center, almost to the fence. She was up against A level 2nd year 10U pitchers all last year and these girls were really, really not A level pitchers. Slow pitching has always been a weakness, she'll foul and pop them up or hit piddly grounders. So this sudden jump in self-discipline with hitting was pretty awesome.

The other thing is that she just learned a rise ball, which seemed silly to me at 35 ft but she wanted to so she did. We tell coaches we pick up with, she can throw a rise and a curve but she JUST learned them and they're not very reliable yet. But man, coaches love the riseball! He called it a good bit and she was so happy because she struck out several batters using it. When we jump back 5 feet I think she's going to kill it. Though I also think she'd not have struck out so many in our usual kind of tournament.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
DD's team played a DH against a Juco team, which I was a little nervous about. The team lost the first game 3-1 and second 7-2. DD's first 18U Gold AB took it deep it to the fence with the CF making an acrobatic catch over her head. At this level, you do not want to hit it in the air. She split time at catcher and looked pretty good. Sunday the team played a 3 game RR against some other Gold teams in the area, and the team played pretty well. DD threw 2 runners out at 2B trying to steal in her last game. I wasn't sure if DD was ready to make the jump to 18U...she's ready!!! Still have work to do with her hitting as she is too far out front hitting weak dribblers.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
DD's bat was pretty hot this weekend. 3 doubles (7 RBI) and a 3 run HR against a D1 commit RHP. Pitching started out rough but she held her own...Saturday - 5 runs first inning but allowed no more next 4 innings (this is game she hit 2 doubles for 4 RBI); Sunday - 3 runs allowed in 4th inning (should have been easy outs - we made 3 errors) but did not allow runs previous inning...this is one she hit walk off 3 run HR. :)

I am so excited to finally see her ABs come together...she has worked so hard for so long, and she's finally comfortable at the plate.

Forgot to add that the D3 coach loved her (FYI - he's also an asst coach for a NPF team ;) ).

Oct 10, 2011
DD was excited after playing in a team scrimmage and playing 3rd the whole game. She said she had a really good game and threw out the fastest girl on her team after a sneaky bunt attempt. She was the only freshman to get a nice hit and no SO off their AC who was a former pro overseas... She said she was feeling great😊

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
DD had a very nice showing at a camp this weekend. Coaches have stated they want her schedule and commented she already has the arm as a catcher to play there. She really liked the campus, coaching staff and team. As a parent I was pleased with the campus and the activities that took place so early in the school year.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
DD had a great weekend playing up with her new team. She went 7 for 14 with one BB, batting lead off. She scored a bunch of runs, I dont think her team stranded her once. She had one SO and hit the ball hard on a most of the outs she made.

Her coach put her at second! Something her last coach wouldnt consider (she's a lefty). She really likes second base and did a good job, made a few nice plays.

She loves the coaches and they have given her a tremendous confidence boost by giving her the opportunity to start and bat lead-off.
Her team went 5-0 at got 1st in the tourney. On Saturday morning i asked her if she was excited to play. She said "im excited to win!" Sunday evening I told her how proud and happy I was with her performance. She said "Im happy we won!"

Jun 19, 2013
We don't start games until next week so this is a brag on my goofy girl and her competitive spirit. So I came home from work Friday night to find that on her second day or dressing down for HS PE class she had injuries on both legs. She had a giant raspberry turf burn on one knee as well as a huge one on the front of her other shin/lower leg. Then the other knee was purple and black. So I asked what happened and she explained that they were playing coed flag football and she dove for a guy's flag and somehow slid from turf to part of the track surface trying to keep him from scoring. My first comments were let's not get busted up playing dumb sports in PE so that you are unable to pitch next weekend - which she assured me would not be a problem.

A little while later as she was hobbling into the kitchen with a bit of a whimper and being the sympathetic person that I am I said "well that's what you get for trying to keep up with the boys" she then informed me "I didn't TRY to keep up, I DID keep up and because of THIS we won the game!" haha she told me. Even though it's been a weekend of oozing sores I am proud of her :)

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
DD had her first fallball HS games. My pitcher/1B DD was put at shortstop for game 1, DD is not a shortstop by any stretch of the imagination but she gave it a go. They have practiced for two weeks but she only pitched in practice for about 5 minutes she said, the #1 from last year has taken all the pitcher reps.

She got to pitch the second game and did fantastic.., struck out 3 in her first HS inning and wound up with a two hitter and 9 or 10 ks in a five inning game. I think she will be taking more reps in practice now :)

Dec 27, 2014
Thru 4 innings yesterday DD had a shutout on 1 hit, 2 bb and 10 k's. We are up 5-0, as the away team. Just minutes left for our time and the other team petitions to do a flip. Blue agrees, so dd has to go back out without a break. Not a big fan of the flip as it leaves the pitcher out there for two straight innings, when she has earned the lead. DD fastball was working well all day. In, out, high, low with the CU being hit and miss. But, a couple of really cool SO's on the CU where the batter is way out in front as the ball drops on the plate. Always fun!

Anywho, k's the first batter, gets a first pitch comebacker for the 2nd out. In my mind the 3rd batter was not very good with dd's velocity. I figured just throw three FB strikes and it is over. Our pitch caller knew this but still does a first pitch CU. DD releases it just right. Mid thigh at the halfway point and it drops at the plate. Swinging strike 1. Next pitch he calls the same thing. DD executes the exact same thing. Swinging strike 2. You guessed it, next pitch swinging strike 3 as the ball drops at the plate - lol. First time ever in dd's short career that she thrown three straight CU's. :)

Jun 12, 2015
DD had pitching lessons yesterday and hit 48mph from full pitch. That's a new record. She's hit 53 running in but her record from full pitch (that we've caught anyway) was 46. So close to the big 5-0.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs