Mom, cmon, really?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
FYI, Florida beat Georgia last week in SEC Championship Tournie. FL bunted with two out and also bunted a player with 2 striker on her. It went foul and she sat down. Sometimes, you do what you have to do. No matter the odds. If you are confident in the player in that skill and it will catch a team off guard....You do it.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
DD got the fake bunt sign with two outs to help the dbl steal. Steal on, she doesn't pull back and lays down the bunt. In the confusion they over throw 1st, we score, rally and win. When the coach asked why she bunted she said it was the perfect pitch to bunt and she just couldn't lay off from it and she knew she'd beat any throw.

Sometimes the bunt with 2 outs catches the D so out of place it works very well.

Feb 7, 2013
DD got the fake bunt sign with two outs to help the dbl steal. Steal on, she doesn't pull back and lays down the bunt. In the confusion they over throw 1st, we score, rally and win. When the coach asked why she bunted she said it was the perfect pitch to bunt and she just couldn't lay off from it and she knew she'd beat any throw.

Sometimes the bunt with 2 outs catches the D so out of place it works very well.
Have to be honest with you here, if she was given the sign to fake bunt and bunted anyways, I as a coach would not be happy. I don't care if she hit the game winning home run. What message does this send to all the players in the team? It's ok to ignore the signs whenever you feel like it? Hard to coach the game from 3rd not knowing if your players will execute the signs they are given.

Oct 24, 2012
^ Yep. I recall many times taking a shot rather than running the set play and getting screamed at for draining a wide open 3. Sometimes there is a method to the coach's madness.

Jul 9, 2009
IL
^ Yep. I recall many times taking a shot rather than running the set play and getting screamed at for draining a wide open 3. Sometimes there is a method to the coach's madness.

Sometimes there is a method and other times the coach is just a mad man.

Apr 26, 2012
If, and I mean IF, that was the thinking, then that is problem #1. If you don't have confidence in your players, then they won't have confidence in themselves. I have seen this 1st hand with my DD.

It makes all the difference in the world. When I played LL baseball the 9yr olds were generally told to bunt twice, and good luck on the 3rd one. They never got a chance to hit. One hit might be all it takes to get a kid going!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00