Mom, cmon, really?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Huskerdu

With Purpose and Urgency
Sep 4, 2011
So I give the bunt sign to my 12U player in a pivotal situation (who has really only 4 hits all year), she squares and pulls back like she knew she was going to fake it, and it was a perfect strike. Now with two strikes on her, she proceeds to swing on the next pitch never coming close, and leaving runners on first and second.

I was livid, I told my team, that if they wanted to play they better know the signs. This girl walks back to the dugout with the attitude that it was my fault that she missed the opportunity. THe mom breaks my team rules and walks to the dugout and tells me that because her fingers got smashed this winter in practice, she doesn't like to bunt. Let me stop here and just throw this out...

Parents: never do this.

I told the mom that she bunts perfectly in practice and never come and talk to me again during a game.

I didn't want to break the kids spirit so I sat her down on a bucket next to mine in the dugout and we called pitches...her being one of my catchers. The next time though her mom sticks her grille into my dugout I am going to have the kid go out and sit with her.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
What were you trying to accomplish by bunting with 2 outs? Not trying to sharp shoot you, but if it was a pivotal situation in the game, why didn't you attempt a double steal? At least you have 2 runners in scoring position, then it opens the doors what you can do.

But for the Mom, yes that was uncalled for.

Sounds like he was pretty sure the girl was not going to make solid contact and since she was a good bunter that was the only way to put any pressure on the defense...granted not the best of plans but better than striking out.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Sounds like he was pretty sure the girl was not going to make solid contact and since she was a good bunter that was the only way to put any pressure on the defense...granted not the best of plans but better than striking out.

If, and I mean IF, that was the thinking, then that is problem #1. If you don't have confidence in your players, then they won't have confidence in themselves. I have seen this 1st hand with my DD.

Apr 13, 2013
Parents: never do this.

For the first time in a long time I went into the Dugout and recommended something to the HC. I was uncomfortable doing it but it worked out OK. Their answer could have been get the blank out of my dugout which I would have been OK with, plus a tongue lashing after the game.

It was a onetime thing and both DW and I leave DD and coaches alone during the games. We know where to find them after the game if we need to, which we have not.

Sep 20, 2012
SE Ohio
If, and I mean IF, that was the thinking, then that is problem #1. If you don't have confidence in your players, then they won't have confidence in themselves. I have seen this 1st hand with my DD.

nope...that ain't the problem, imo. A coach needs to look at the strengths and weaknesses of his players and go with the thing that gives the player the best chance.

Coach has a kid that only has 4 hits all year, but makes good contact bunting in practice. Is a 2 out situation ideal for her to lay down a bunt? Nope. But does it give her the best chance to get the ball in play? Yep.

now, I would also try to factor in how often she walks and how accurate the pitcher is at the current time. If I think she has a better chance of drawing a walk, then I probably don't go with the bunt, but if the pitcher is throwing strikes, and a walk is highly unlikely, then my biggest thought is "what gives the batter the best chance to get the ball in play?" Once in play, anything can happen.

hit and run/double steal would be another option that may generate something, but then you gotta look at your baserunners and gauge your chances on that.

My problem with the OP is the "I was livid," comment. Does this mean you were yelling at the girls or making a scene? If so, then I understand mom's breaking of the rules.

Huskerdu

With Purpose and Urgency
Sep 4, 2011
Regarding the "livid" comment, that is what makes me a good coach, my poker face when it comes to showing my emotions, I was the same way as a professional baseball player. My lividity comes out in every new gray hair that pops out of my sideburns... I told the kids in the dugout, not yelling but with an edge, WE DO NOT MISS SIGNS, IF YOU MISS A SIGN, YOU WILL NOT PLAY...

This kid is a great kid, great heart, and I wanted her to succeed, in addition to our team succeeding. I wanted her confidence to be built up to help the team. She is nails as a catcher. She just looked silly on the first pitch so I called a bunt. I bunt regularly with two outs when other teams aren't expecting it. The mom is what hacked me off in this situation.

Let me tell you about this kid at the end of the game. With 30 seconds left on the clock and 2 outs, no one on base, I told her when the pitcher starts her windup, step into the left hand batters box so we can get another inning. She didn't ask why, she wasn't sad or upset, she just did it and took one for the team. I gave her a helmet award for doing that after the game.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00