Mistake by 3B during ESPN Rise tournament

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HVbmYSQnP58?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HVbmYSQnP58?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

We talk about precision in softball a lot, but here is a simple mistake by the 3B which cost Texas Impact a run. The 3B fields the bunt with her hands separated, which resulted in a fraction of a second lost when she had to bring her right hand to the glove. The end result: The batter was safe.

According to the announcers, the Texas Impact coach replaced his usual 3B with a catcher because he thought the catcher would do a better job at 3B fielding bunts... Wrong!

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2010
And, she really didn't start moving until the ball was bunted. I understand maybe hesitating for the "pullback slap", but there was no movement once the batter committed to bunt until the ball made contact with the bat.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Probably not the cleanest of mechanics.

Given that the hitter was a slapper and fast runner, there probably wasn't time to come to a full stop, plant the heels, funnel the ball into the glove with the throwing hand well separated from the glove, come fully upright, shuffle step and make a full overhand throw. Even Kobata wouldn't teach this.

1t4raq.gif

1z20qr5.gif

Sep 17, 2009
As the announcers even noted, the girl (a great player by all accounts) wasn't a third basemen. So odd decision and not surprising outcome.

Does anyone recommend a fielding "system" to work through with younger (12U) girls to take them to the next level? I've heard thumbs up and thumbs down about Kobata, and that some of his ideas are unorthodox. Any suggestions on DVDs, etc? I know how to build from the "ground up" on hitting, and we work with good pitching coaches, but I don't want to just "teach what I know" with our infielders/outfielders...

TKS!

Apr 1, 2010
Was that the same team that also had the catcher not look the runner at second back before she tossed the ball to the pitcher, resulting in an easy steal of third? Or was that the CA team? I'm wondering if the decision to play their catcher at third bit them both at third *and* at catcher.

Jul 26, 2010
Looking at this play, even with proper mechanics she would not have made the throw in time. She got a late jump, and that made all the difference. IF she barehanded it and IF she made a good throw that the 1B could stretch towards her for, then maybe it would be an out.

Good job by the first baseman catching that catastrophe of a throw.

-W

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA