Minor Thumb Fracture

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 22, 2012
DD injured her thumb yesterday. Stupid soccer! Anyone experienced this injury? There is very minimal displacement. It is her NON throwing hand. It is not in the growth plate. Of course the recommended instructions are rest and Ice, and a splint. They say a minimal fracture of this variety is 3-4 weeks.

Hoping for 2-3??? Next tourney is 2 weeks from today. Travel league games twice per week for the next 5

Since it is the non pitching hand, I am wondering when she can at last begin practicing. It will probably be the full time before she can grip a bat or put a glove back on.

I don't know, I'm just rambling. This is the heart of the season and so disappointing. Thoughts appreciated.

Mar 22, 2013
Sunny SC
We are getting the evoshield thumb guard. My DD has been playing catcher and her thumb is sore. Reviews says it help out. Wonder if that would help her.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
DD injured her thumb yesterday. Stupid soccer! Anyone experienced this injury? There is very minimal displacement. It is her NON throwing hand. It is not in the growth plate. Of course the recommended instructions are rest and Ice, and a splint. They say a minimal fracture of this variety is 3-4 weeks.

Hoping for 2-3??? Next tourney is 2 weeks from today. Travel league games twice per week for the next 5

Since it is the non pitching hand, I am wondering when she can at last begin practicing. It will probably be the full time before she can grip a bat or put a glove back on.

I don't know, I'm just rambling. This is the heart of the season and so disappointing. Thoughts appreciated.
its on her non pitching hand and it's only slightly displaced? Heck what could go wrong? I say let it start to heal and the. Let her pitch. What's the worst thing that can happen? She has a line drive off of it displacing it further part way through the healing process. I mean no big deal it's her non pitching hand. How would having a non bending thumb really affect her in the future?

Yeah that is sarcasm. When she was born did you look at her and promise her she would be a pitcher no matter what. Or did you whisper to her that you would protect her as long as you could? Whichever your promise to her as an infant was, that will give you your answer

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
If she has good "both hands up together, down together" mechanics, i wouldnt risk it. Repetitive glove slap to thigh (no matter how light) will probably aggravate it more, and unnecessarily elongate the healing time.

My opinion.

May 22, 2012
its on her non pitching hand and it's only slightly displaced? Heck what could go wrong? I say let it start to heal and the. Let her pitch. What's the worst thing that can happen? She has a line drive off of it displacing it further part way through the healing process. I mean no big deal it's her non pitching hand. How would having a non bending thumb really affect her in the future?

Yeah that is sarcasm. When she was born did you look at her and promise her she would be a pitcher no matter what. Or did you whisper to her that you would protect her as long as you could? Whichever your promise to her as an infant was, that will give you your answer

China, while i fully understand your point, my reason for posting the specifics of the injury was not to minimize it but to see if someone had feedback and experience om the injury and the recovery time. Yes, my job is to protect her first and foremost.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
China, while i fully understand your point, my reason for posting the specifics of the injury was not to minimize it but to see if someone had feedback and experience om the injury and the recovery time. Yes, my job is to protect her first and foremost.

Sorry if I sounded harsh. I saw a kid force a glove over a thumb splint and pitch. She was crying after about 4 throws back from the catcher. But her dad HC wouldn't take her out until the ump basically forced him. I would say listen to the doctors and no one here.

Jul 2, 2013
My DD had a non-displaced fracture to her pinky knuckle. Took 5 weeks to heal. was back playing well in 6 weeks.

I think this timetable is pretty standard. hoping for 2 to 3 weeks may be just hope. The off hand thumb sees a lot of force swinging the bat.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
If I were the coach and the doc said 3-4 weeks, that is what it would be. I know where you are coming from, but after much experience, I would need a doctor's release, prior to 4 weeks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan