minimal speed??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 6, 2009
When I look at most of these questions, I assume they are being written by someone asking about higher level select ball. So based on that I would tend to agree with the answer 55, 60, 65 that sluggers gave. I personally think it's important to continually guage where your kids are. I say this because pitching is one place in particular kids can miss the boat if they do not give it up on time (or at least continue to learn to hit concurrently). It can be a difficult decision. My older one, a HS senior pitched through 8th grade in school but gave it up at the select level. Her velocity was 50 or so max and she had a few mechanical issues we couldn't fix. She was a very good hitter, played 3rd and ultimately CF and was recruited to play DII ball next year. My younger one is 14 tomorrow. She is better at all facets of the game at this age. She pitches and is very good. Over the weekend I gunned her at 54,55,56 on a jugs gun so she has very good velocity with very good control too. Every year, I look at her and ask myslef is she going to miss going further as a position player becuase she's still piching. I know for a fact that at 14 if she was throwing 50 mph, I would ask her to concentrate on someplace like Short stop. I watched way too many girls this year on the North East recruiting circuit that, I believe, hung on too long.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck