Middle School Open Gym vs Travel Ball Practice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
You read my mind. What 13-year-old has to 'rest up' for playtime?

When I was 13, I was doing everything possible after school to avoid homework.

As long as it's not a violation of dual role playing in that state. Again, I don't understand open gym at this time of year.

Your second part reminds me in HS Bunch of us would go to practice 2+ hours, come home and eat, and go work out at the local gym for another couple of hours. ( and to check out the girls ) :)

Wish I had that kind of energy again!!!!

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I do not care why a player misses practice, my job is to have them want to come to practice. Would be interested in knowing why they are going to open gym instead of practice. Maybe they just want some free athletic time before the long softball season starts.

Last edited:

KCM

Mar 8, 2012
South Carolina
"Open Gym" this time of year is for volleyball, at least here it is for my two girls. Ours how ever is not mandatory and usually it is the assistants assistant running it while the coaches sit in athletic directors office watching out the window.

Who were the committed to first? And also they know of these "practices" well enough in advance to tell you a week or so ahead.

coachtucc

Banned
May 7, 2008
A, A
Its my 7th graders and the parents want them to rest for the "middle school softballopen gym" which is:
not mandatory. They want to be seen by the coaches. And yes I agree they should enough energy for both. That said, two
of the 7th graders came for an hour then went home for a light meal, then they went to the open gym!!

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Ya'll must be southerners! The HS SB season in CT can't start until next Monday, 3/19. IIRC, CoachT is from LI (sorry - that's Long Island, as in the NY state barrier beach located across Long Island Sound from CT), so the open gym time before the school season makes sense. And I can understand the wanting to be seen at open gym as word may get back to the coach. My only concern about doing both TB and school ball would be making sure there's enough time and energy left for school work and studying. I could see some conflicts, but generally it shouldn't be a real stretch to do both and take care of school bizness too.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Its my 7th graders and the parents want them to rest for the "middle school softballopen gym" which is:
not mandatory. They want to be seen by the coaches. And yes I agree they should enough energy for both. That said, two
of the 7th graders came for an hour then went home for a light meal, then they went to the open gym!!

Two out of Three ain't bad. ----Meat Loaf

I think if it's the first set of open gym's, a good sign of faith to the school coach is warranted. Best foot forward thing. Then you and the players can come to an agreement there after.

Open gym is a joke, the girls should grow tired of it before you grow tired of dealing with it.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Ya'll must be southerners! The HS SB season in CT can't start until next Monday, 3/19. IIRC, CoachT is from LI (sorry - that's Long Island, as in the NY state barrier beach located across Long Island Sound from CT), so the open gym time before the school season makes sense.

Trying to learn.......

Are you saying the "season" doesn't start until 3-19? I mean games that count.

Or field practice starts 3-19..............games start later.

We are dead until ( conditioning only --- open gym ) mid February. Then field practice until ( which can include pre season tourneys and scrimmages ) tomorrow 3-14 when we start full blast. Yee Haw!!!!

Nov 29, 2009
The coach wasn't allowed to coach. But you really HAD to be there. It was hard to figure out, but the " in kids" knew what it meant.

It is known as "Vandatory" practice time. Voluntary -- Mandatory practice. You "Don't HAVE to go. But????" It's a wink, wink type deal.

R

RayR

In CT - HS softball officially begins on March 19....anything before is illegal if a coach is involved in any manner....so teams cheat by having the workout supervised by a parent....players vying for varsity positions or freshman hoping to make the team feel pressured to participate so they can be noticed by the coach.....so players will skip travel practices since they are already on that team....

Once HS starts it is illegal for players to participate on any other softball team in any manner....so travel shuts down until HS season is over....it is really a PITA situation....some players (with D1 hopes) will skip HS softball and play for a team as a guest in another state until their home travel team is back playing -

Trying to learn.......

Are you saying the "season" doesn't start until 3-19? I mean games that count.

Or field practice starts 3-19..............games start later.

We are dead until ( conditioning only --- open gym ) mid February. Then field practice until ( which can include pre season tourneys and scrimmages ) tomorrow 3-14 when we start full blast. Yee Haw!!!!

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
In CT - HS softball officially begins on March 19

Forgive me but still not clear. 3-19 you start the practice session of NFHS? ( usually a few weeks before official game season ) Or are you going straight from dead ( no HS coach ) to playing games. This is just weird to us in the south.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi