Middle School Open Gym vs Travel Ball Practice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
I've always said that I can only coach the kids that show up, and I can't worry about the ones who don't, though I do make the point that they missed out on something important. At that age, the kids need to begin to make those decisions and learn to live with the results. Look at it this way - the ones who show up to practice are the ones looking to improve their skills and earn playing time (even on a 12U team), whereas the kids that missed practice missed an opportunity to improve, and may have fallen behind the ones who were there. It's about providing opportunities to continuously get better, and if you miss something, you've fallen behind and have to make it up.

That said, I would not "punish" the kids for missing. They lose playing time when they can't execute what you've taught. It usually shows up soon enough. If the kid is a superstar, and can execute despite missing practice, you've lost nothing, since you have more time to work with the other players. Those other players have to learn that just showing up is not good enough either. They gave themselves the opportunity to get better by coming to practice. If another player is still better, then they need to work harder, even in 12U.

Last edited:

KCM

Mar 8, 2012
South Carolina
Wow. We start practice in January with a few work out days in December with less than 3 players per coach. Our season for JV should have started first game 2 weeks ago but a lot of schools did away with their JV programs this year due to lack of students.

Also we have some form of softball going on year round, TB spring and summer, Rec fall and spring, JV/Varsity in spring. Our girls can play in them all but it has rules against coaches stacking teams with their players and coaching on multiple levels.

R

RayR

State tourney usually starts Tuesday after memorial day lasting about 2 weeks....travel season starts usually 2nd weekend in June....sometimes there is an overlap with coaches and players in the State Final on the same weekend as the first tourney so those players are unavailable for the travel games until their HS season is over....School ends late June in CT....

So when does the season end? During regular school days? That would only leave us here in the south with 3-1/2 weeks of games. Then 2 for playoffs.

R

RayR

The way CT runs sports does put our baseball and softball players at a disadvantage....there is an organization that oversees all HS athletics in CT that creates and maintains these rules in order to "protect" the athletes...IMO, HS sports in CT is running the risk of becoming an intramural activity as better players seek out alternatives to compete with players in other states....

I have heard from more than one college coach that CT lacks college ready players compared to most other states....obviously we can't compete with the south and west, but we should be able to compete with the other northern states that deal with the same climate we do....

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2010
You will be able to sort out the girls that really want to play ball and those that don't real easy with this one. Should be no reason not to make all or part of both and please everyone. Good luck...

Apr 25, 2010
Ohio has the same problem as CT as far as the rules our governing body (OHSAA) sets forth in the name of protection. We have considered moving 5 miles down the road to PA just so our DD won't have to deal with it when she reaches HS.

Aug 5, 2009
Bordentown, NJ
You will be able to sort out the girls that really want to play ball and those that don't real easy with this one. Should be no reason not to make all or part of both and please everyone. Good luck...

Or you could be sorting out the kids with parents that understand there's such a thing as too much, and things like proper rest, and/or studying are important too

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
State tourney usually starts Tuesday after memorial day lasting about 2 weeks....travel season starts usually 2nd weekend in June....sometimes there is an overlap with coaches and players in the State Final on the same weekend as the first tourney so those players are unavailable for the travel games until their HS season is over....School ends late June in CT....

I had no idea your school year was longer at the end. Guess you probably start later though? Our regular school days end 20-25th of May, depends on make up snow days etc. State finals finish before the school year ends. School starts first week in August.