Michigan/Alabama

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Not sure how the B1G will play out. Wisconsin had a couple of good years, but they are off to a really slow start this year. The Wolverines may grab the conference.

Sep 18, 2011
Not sure how the B1G will play out. Wisconsin had a couple of good years, but they are off to a really slow start this year. The Wolverines may grab the conference.

Except for Michigan and Minnesota, and one good game from Nebraska, it looks like a down year for the Big 10. I mean some of them are getting pummeled by mid majors. Iowa has lost 8 games in a row but they've had a tough schedule (2 losses to Florida, 2 losses to Hofstra, and one to Louisiana Lafayette). Still I don't think they should be getting hammered by the likes of Drake and North dakota State, and two losses to Missouri State is... puzzling. Wisconsin, Northwestern, and Nebraska are off to poor starts.

Of course all of this is a by-product of the institutionalized unfairness and inequity... well, you know how i feel.

Michigan looks to have the best Big 10 team that I can remember. My Minny is very good, but lacks pitching depth. At least they do right now. hopefully they can develop a reliable number 2.

As for the rest of the country, there are some teams in the SEC, ACC and Pac-12 who aren't terrible.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Don't underestimate Drake. They have a killer freshman riseball pitcher, Nicole Newman. She pitched at La Follette HS in Madison, and did quite well. Her freshman year she got a HR in a playoff game, and won the game 1-0. Her senior year her team run-ruled a team in a playoff game after 5 innings. She struck out all 15 batters that game.

Rubber Biscut's DD played in TB team with Ms. Newman once.

The weird thing is, the teams in her conference hit her better as she got older, even though she improved. Some of the batters in her conference spent a LOT of time learning to hit the riseball.

At one point, there was a team, Madison West HS, that had lost every game for about 3 years straight. Then, they finally won a game. The next week, they won their second game in 3 years, beating Newman and La Follette. Some of the West batters worked a lot on hitting the riseball.

Sep 18, 2011
Don't underestimate Drake. They have a killer freshman riseball pitcher, Nicole Newman. She pitched at La Follette HS in Madison, and did quite well. Her freshman year she got a HR in a playoff game, and won the game 1-0. Her senior year her team run-ruled a team in a playoff game after 5 innings. She struck out all 15 batters that game.

No doubt. I didn't mean to disparage any of the teams I listed. I tend to love and cheer for mid-majors like Creighton, NDSU, Valpo, and Drake. All I meant was that if you're the University of Iowa, in the big 10 conference with all the facilities, and you've had some one run losses to Florida and ULL, it's a little embarrassing to lose by 8 runs to NDSU and Drake and get swept by Missouri State. It would be like Wisconsin losing big to Wisconsin Green Bay or Nebraska getting killed by Creighton. Probably not good for job security. Lil crankermo can't get there soon enough!

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
No doubt. I didn't mean to disparage any of the teams I listed. I tend to love and cheer for mid-majors like Creighton, NDSU, Valpo, and Drake. All I meant was that if you're the University of Iowa, in the big 10 conference with all the facilities, and you've had some one run losses to Florida and ULL, it's a little embarrassing to lose by 8 runs to NDSU and Drake and get swept by Missouri State. It would be like Wisconsin losing big to Wisconsin Green Bay or Nebraska getting killed by Creighton. Probably not good for job security. Lil crankermo can't get there soon enough!

Good point. This is different from hockey, where schools like Mankanto State or Northern Michigan are EXPECTED to whomp most Big 10 schools.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Wisconsin's hockey has been the ultimate Daddy Coach experience.

Bob Johnson coached the Badger's men's hockey, and his son Mark Johnson was on his team.

Mark Johnson is now the coach of the Badger women. His daughter Mikayla Johnson is on HIS team.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/mark-johnson-unsung-magic-man-miracle-ice-article-1.2123887

My kids go to the same HS as the Johnson family. Well known as good hockey players. (Actually, there is a special plaque to honor Mark Johnson at the HS, put there when he was inducted into the NHL HOF).

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Except for Michigan and Minnesota, and one good game from Nebraska, it looks like a down year for the Big 10. I mean some of them are getting pummeled by mid majors. Iowa has lost 8 games in a row but they've had a tough schedule (2 losses to Florida, 2 losses to Hofstra, and one to Louisiana Lafayette). Still I don't think they should be getting hammered by the likes of Drake and North dakota State, and two losses to Missouri State is... puzzling. Wisconsin, Northwestern, and Nebraska are off to poor starts.

Don't count out the Boiler Makers.....maybe next year! LOL

Sep 18, 2011
Don't count out the Boiler Makers.....maybe next year! LOL

Totally my bad. Purdue is 10-1 in their last 11 games. Definite contenders for the Big 10 championship and a program very much on the rise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd