Mental - what does your DD do (or you do) to help boost it?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
I noticed that DD was harping on herself on this or that. For example, last night's session was "I'm not hitting well. I don't hit like I used to...it doesn't feel right...blah blah blah" and "the coaches are not giving feedback like they used to (as in they aren't showing interest)". When we got home, I talked with her. I told her that having those thoughts are self-defeating, and from now on, she is to write down goals on what she wants to accomplish at each session/practice and she will focus on accomplishing those goals; and after, she is to talk about the GOOD things that happened. Bad thoughts/perceptions are to be thrown out completely. And she should also tell the coach her thoughts/perceptions about the practice/lessons, and ask what she should work on next time. This is, of course, time permitting...especially with the practices ending at 10 p.m. -_-

Anyhow, I am not sure what else to do to help her except to focus on the good stuff and make goals for the next level. What do you do? Thoughts? Suggestions? She is a 15 yo freshman and has been vulnerable this year due to HS ball and being displaced in different positions she is not used to (didn't mind at all...just felt out of place). So her confidence has taken a huge hit this spring as a result...she is working on building it up (and so are the coaches). It is hard to believe how far you can fall when your confidence is shot...but then I guess we see it every day...even in professional athletes.

Your on the right track ....keep everything positive, negativity can derail everything she has accomplished. If the coaches aren't doing what they used to to help her swing then I suggest a hitting coach and work on what the coach teaches at home. Also depends on the kid, some are over critical of themselves and their performance, not saying she is just some are. Also reading the book Mind gym right now, very good book for the mental side of the game also 9 innings of hitting is another great book to help the mental side of hitting. Anyway that should get you started.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles