Media blasting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I was reading a few articles about the Yankees game where Wise jumped into the stands to catch a foul ball, the ball hit off his glove, but the umpire called Hanahan out (and eventually booted him from the game). The media for the most part is blasting Wise for "cheating" Dewayne Wise fools ump into thinking he made incredible catch | Yardbarker.com

Now my question is, and I know ALL of us have been on both sides (offense and defense) where F4 has missed a tag but the umpire called the runner out. Is it cheating not to tell the umpire, "I didn't tag her"?

IMO I think the blasting needs to focus on the umpire, not the player. Discuss

I was reading a few articles about the Yankees game where Wise jumped into the stands to catch a foul ball, the ball hit off his glove, but the umpire called Hanahan out (and eventually booted him from the game). The media for the most part is blasting Wise for "cheating" Dewayne Wise fools ump into thinking he made incredible catch | Yardbarker.com

Now my question is, and I know ALL of us have been on both sides (offense and defense) where F4 has missed a tag but the umpire called the runner out. Is it cheating not to tell the umpire, "I didn't tag her"?

I don't get how the fan does not show the ball or Wise have such a stupid grin on his face that it is not obvious.

The biggest fault does of course lie with the umpire who did not ask to see the ball. Any time the ball goes out of view reaching of the fence to bring back a home run or in foul territory you hve to ask to see the ball.

Jun 22, 2010
I agree that DiMuro messed up. We're trained to do it on simple tag plays, for Pete's sake: "Show me the ball!" If DiMuro says those four little words, then Wise grins, says some version of "You got me," and everybody gets on with their lives.

Although, hey, I've done worse, and DiMuro's in MLB and I'm not, so I've got no reason to talk.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
He's on the Yankee's, he cheated in my book. Any other team the umpire messed up, gotta see the ball.

Well I'm not a Yankee's fan either, but again how many times has a MLB SS swept the foot on 2B turning a Double Play and missed the bag, yet still got the call "Out" Are they cheaters too?

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
The media for the most part is blasting Wise for "cheating" Dewayne Wise fools ump into thinking he made incredible catch | Yardbarker.com

I don't think that the story you linked is an instance of the media bashing the player. It's a blog that basically presented the facts, then asked for comment. It wasn't the media that used the word ''cheating,'' but someone posting on the blog.

I haven't read or heard much elsewhere, so can't say whether the media is taking sides.

Dec 29, 2011
Tempe, Az
Well I'm not a Yankee's fan either, but again how many times has a MLB SS swept the foot on 2B turning a Double Play and missed the bag, yet still got the call "Out" Are they cheaters too?

I think these are different issues one is straight cheating in my book and the other (play at second) is a saftey issue.

A play at second is usually an "in the area play" so the runner isnt getting stepped on or the fielder isnt getting hit. You can tell the umps are ok with this because they are right on the play, yet if you look close enough most the time the bag is not touched and the out is called.

May 28, 2010
LI,NY
I don't think it's cheating by the player, if the ump said you made the catch you made the catch you shouldn't tell the ump no I really didn't catch it its up to the ump to get it right. A few years ago my dd was playing catcher and her glove interfered with a batters bat and the ump missed it. I saw it and some of the parents from the other team saw it and they complained to the ump but he stuck with his call until my dd decided to tell him that it really did hit her glove. After the game I told her I love her honesty but let the ump make the call, that's part of the game.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG