Tag up question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 4, 2019
Situation - runners 1B and 2B and deep fly ball to center. I tell runner on 2B to tag. She tags and is safe. Defense appeals and base umpire calls her out. I appeal to plate umpire and say that’s his call as field ump is watching the catch with his back to second and can’t possibly see the play. Plate umpire is clueless and says it’s not his call.

it has always been my understanding that the home plate ump has the calls on tag up appeals as they are staring right at the base and the fielder.

Is it different for different basis depending on where the field up is? I had a situation where a girl tagged up from first (yes, very odd) and the plate empire, a guy I know and has coached at high school and college level called her out on appeal. He is about as respected an ump I’ve seen. We were on D and could see she left early. I talk to him after the play about how the offense coach was upset with him, he said what they don’t understand is that his his only responsibility on that play is to stare at the first base runner.

thoughts?

Jun 4, 2019
What’s upsetting is I was coaching 3B and was down the line enough for a perfect angle. She did not leave early.

Jan 11, 2015
Situation - runners 1B and 2B and deep fly ball to center. I tell runner on 2B to tag. She tags and is safe. Defense appeals and base umpire calls her out. I appeal to plate umpire and say that’s his call as field ump is watching the catch with his back to second and can’t possibly see the play. Plate umpire is clueless and says it’s not his call.

it has always been my understanding that the home plate ump has the calls on tag up appeals as they are staring right at the base and the fielder.

Is it different for different basis depending on where the field up is? I had a situation where a girl tagged up from first (yes, very odd) and the plate empire, a guy I know and has coached at high school and college level called her out on appeal. He is about as respected an ump I’ve seen. We were on D and could see she left early. I talk to him after the play about how the offense coach was upset with him, he said what they don’t understand is that his his only responsibility on that play is to stare at the first base runner.

thoughts?
Who watches what depends on runners placement. With multiple runners on the bases, the plate umpire has responsibility for the lead runner and the base umpire has the other runners.

So in the 1st situation the plate umpire has the runner on 2nd and the base umpire has the runner on 1st.

In the other situation with a solo runner on 1st base, the base umpire has responsibility to watch the runner while the plate umpire watches the catch.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles