May be something to this

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2010
Oklahoma
My DD was having a rough game catching last night. She was dropping everything and letting everything past her. We had had our last 2 games cancelled for severe weather or rain and all the girls were playing sloppy.

DD let at least 2 pitches by her for steals at home.

I normally sit on the end of the bleachers (bottom row because I have a toddler), basically right behind her but a little off to her right or left. Some games I pace and wander back and forth.

Last night, I kept telling her "back to basics, just keep the ball in front of you". To me her stance looked off. And then I told her she has to "catch" the ball, "squeeze it" on yet another drop. When she turned her back to me, I could see her head move like she was mocking me. I about lost it, but instead I walked away.

We have a friend who was playing on another field, so I went down to watch her. The mom saw me coming and we stood in between the 2 fields so we could watch both games.

There may be something to going and sitting in the outfield to watch a game. I had never done it before, but last night I watched the rest of the game basically at the side of left field. I did see her outstanding hit to Center for a double rbi, but I could no longer see her mistakes at the plate.

As we were leaving the field, she went looking for her friend's mom and said she wasn't riding home with us. *sigh* I never said a word about her game all the way home, I just answered her question about where her hit went.

Apr 13, 2010
I honestly don't know what the right mix is either.

When I was a kid my dad never came to any of my football or baseball games. I quit football after a kid pulled a prank on me. I don't even remember why I stopped playing baseball because I was pitching in little league all on my own, my coach let me even though I didn't have a parent involved or a pitching coach, or even knowing how to pitch at all.

Now I'm kind of like you and I'm trying to help my kid as much as possible. And I realize now after typing that how silly being critical is to helping her, but boy it's hard not to do. I try to follow what her pitching coach does and just reinforce good behavior and try to point out what she can do to get back to that. Anyway, I try to give her every opportunity. Get her the proper coaching. Get her to practice, go to the games and cheer her on. Push her as much as I can without pushing too much cause no one bothered to push me. But she pushes back. A lot. I do try to compliment as much as I criticize but it only seems to be the critical stuff that they remember.

Last edited:
May 8, 2009
Florida
I learned through trial to not offer advice when I am outside the fence. If I am not the coach, I let them do their job. If asked by coach or DD, I will offer observations but that doesnt happen much. You arent going to fix things in a game. Watch and enjoy the game,keep notes on what you might want to work on in practice. Talk about it the next day. The last thing my DD wants to do is rehash a game right after. She knows what didnt go right and certainly doesnt want to hear me tell her. I let her lead the conversation and learn to be a good listener. Still a crazy dad but I am working on it:)

Mar 13, 2010
Last night, I kept telling her "back to basics, just keep the ball in front of you". To me her stance looked off. And then I told her she has to "catch" the ball, "squeeze it" on yet another drop. When she turned her back to me, I could see her head move like she was mocking me. I about lost it, but instead I walked away.

I'll let you know how your daughter felt, because my dad did it to me one game.

I wanted to kill him. I was having a horrible game and all he kept doing was offering pat sayings that achieved nothing, other than making me angry and making my game worse. I was 22 at the time and all I could hear was 'just focus on throwing strikes Lozza', 'just focus on the glove Lozza' 'don't try so hard Lozza' Thankfully halfway through the game my mum dragged him away, because I was ready to start throwing things at him or start swearing at him.

Sitting there telling her what to do achieves nothing. You did the best thing by going away from the situation, but next time this happens, you need to leave her be. You are not helping.

Jan 13, 2010
DD is a pitcher. I can't even come close to the backstop. I like watching the game from the 1st base side abit past the bag. The last few games i try to sit so I can see the coaches signs so I can tell if shes hitting her spots. I've asked DD if she would care if I sat behind the backstop to watch her pitch, "Dad, I don't care where you sit, i don't look notice you anyways"

I get alot more nervous then DD, thats why i sit where I do. I do everything possible to keep her upbeat, we rarely talk softball on the ride to field, just lets have some fun. Sometimes the coach asks me to warm her up if she is needed in relief. I just sit on my bucket and tell her her good shes pitching no matter where the balls are going. I've tried "helping" her before, it doesn't do any good. best i can get away with is,"focus on you key thought for every pitch"

May 25, 2010
The 3L rule for pitcher dads is applicable to catcher dads as well:

Lawn chair. Lemonade. Left field.

You'll be amazed at how much more enjoyable the game will become for you AND your daughter. ;)

Oct 13, 2010
Oklahoma
The 3L rule for pitcher dads is applicable to catcher dads as well:

Lawn chair. Lemonade. Left field.

You'll be amazed at how much more enjoyable the game will become for you AND your daughter. ;)

LOL!

The funny thing is is my husband used to be the worst, but now he helps at games. He would yell. I don't yell. But I do go to all of her catching lessons and I am usually pretty good at helping her refocus. We have even developed hand signs, so I just have to do the sign when she looks at me and she will take a deep breath and refocus. (it was actually her sign and I just use it as needed)

There was a game last season, much like this one, where she was struggling. Dad was yelling. And like last night, I told her back to basics, keep the ball in front of you. Then she refocused and worked hard on blocking and was able to get her "mojo" back. Last night back fired.

I hope tonight goes better. We are playing against her catching coach's team.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I learned when my DS was about 10, to not mention the game unless he brought it up. I could play catch with him and maybe work in a drill or two, but I never specifically was critical. It saved me a lot of grief with the other 2 kids.

I know I say this over and over, but if you want to coach and play, go join a slow pitch team. Do not coach from the bleachers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA