mask

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 12, 2014
DD has always been the emergency pitcher for whatever team she played on, she throws strikes LOL

She always has her mask with her, she is not PERMITTED to pitch without it and every coach she has played for knows this

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD’s progression wearing a mask:

Only wore it pitching, Parent rule she did not have a choice
P/ corners, Parent rule she did not have a choice
All IF, her choice
Anywhere, her choice

She had an Issue that her face mask wasn’t readily available so the coach did not put her in to pitch so she just keeps it on now.

If she is uncomfortable with it instead of letting her not wear one when pitching, have her wear it at all the positions. Then after she is comfortable with it, modify the rules to suit your personal preference.

Another thing is if she is new to a mask I would have her wear it when she practices pitching. Long-term I do not have an opinion if they wear it in the game they should wear it when they practice but short-term she should.

Sorry, last thing. I do not know if the coach should force players to wear a mask. I wouldn’t have an Issue if a Team had a policy but I think that decision is better left to the parent. IMO coach can encourage them to wear a mask but should not force it.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
As a coach, I now require masks for all IF. Already had a 1B take a shot off the chin for a mild concussion. Never again. Why take the chance?

Nov 18, 2013
I made DD wear one through 14U and was amazed how many times people would ask “how do your get her to wear it”. Like others have started it was pretty simple. Wear it or don’t pitch.

I do believe it should be a parents decision though. Until safety standards are in place there’s just no way to know if all of the masks on the market will actually work at high impact.

Jul 6, 2013
As a coach, I require my pitchers and corners to wear one. My SS wears one now as well. The girl can flat out play. This is 14u. I mean she's really good. Taking infield one day in a beautifully drug field, a sharp grounder hit the lone rock that had made its way out there, and ball popped up and caught her in the mouth. Accidents can and do happen.

Jun 7, 2013
I should add that my DD was pitching a 10U A game with no face mask. She got drilled in the face by a hard line drive. I wish that I could have that one back...

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
...she's really good. Taking infield one day in a beautifully drug field, a sharp grounder hit the lone rock that had made its way out there, and ball popped up and caught her in the mouth. Accidents can and do happen.
I had the same thing happen at U12 only the SS was wearing a mask. bad hop hit the mask, she picked it up and fired to 1B for the out.

Yep. wear it and get used to it so it's not an issue. Catchers get plenty hot in their gear but do they ever ask to forego any of it? I know it's not apples to apples, but I agree with everyone before me. DD first wore a mask at 10 when pitching U12. Now she's a Freshman in HS, considers it part of her equipment and sees no reason to change.

Jan 18, 2011
It's the cheapest insurance policy I've found yet. If you're in the infield, wear the mask.

Two pages here of why you should. Sounds like a unanimous decision to me.

Aug 27, 2014
Personally, I think rec leagues should require a mask for all positions. As others have stated, why risk it? Leaving it up to the parents to decide doesn't protect the daughter of the parent that didn't know better.

I am scared to death of my DD hitting a scorcher and hurting a fielder who isn't wearing one. Not only because of the potential physical damage to the fielder, but also because of the emotional damage I know it would cause my DD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321