Mask or No Mask

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
You picked D1 softball. That's cool. The way I see it is the hitters have steadily gotten better with more emphasis put on instruction and practice. Jeez look how many threads we have here for hitting. Just because the BA goes up does not mean the zone is smaller. What were this years stats?

We are still in the 18U and the big showcase have expanded strike zone because the college coaches aren't there to see kids walk. They want the kids to go get those pitches in the river brushing the other batters box.

Aug 6, 2013
I will repeat the same thing I say every time I see a tread like this one -
There were still NHL goalies as late as 1977 not wearing masks for all the same reasons you hear about fielders masks - If you saw a goalie go out today without a mask you would question his sanity.
When my daughter started playing 10 years or so ago - almost no one wore masks and everyone wore shorts - Times change masks are much more excepted (and shorts less so)and the masks will be more and more accepted as time goes on.

Oh... and to the OP's original point. As someone that is Pro Mask - It's not the AC's dam business if your daughter wears a mask. I would have had no problem with him talking to her about it or addressing it with you but to dress down a kid for not wearing one is not his place.

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
I will repeat the same thing I say every time I see a tread like this one -
There were still NHL goalies as late as 1977 not wearing masks for all the same reasons you hear about fielders masks - If you saw a goalie go out today without a mask you would question his sanity.
When my daughter started playing 10 years or so ago - almost no one wore masks and everyone wore shorts - Times change masks are much more excepted (and shorts less so)and the masks will be more and more accepted as time goes on.

Oh... and to the OP's original point. As someone that is Pro Mask - It's not the AC's dam business if your daughter wears a mask. I would have had no problem with him talking to her about it or addressing it with you but to dress down a kid for not wearing one is not his place.

I agree completely, sports evolve in many ways including safety measures. Using the hockey analogy again, wasn't that long ago players didn't wear helmets, now all players do. To further that point, all the players coming from junior to NHL now also wear a half shield.

I also agree with your point about the coach, there are better ways of addressing that to tear a strip off a kid....

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Let's not speculate here but instead look at hard facts and see if we see a trend here (NCAA D1):

Team Batting Average: .287 *record
Team Scoring: 4.82 *record
Home Runs Per Game: .77 *record
Team ERA: 4.13

Team Batting Average: .260
Team Scoring: 3.72
Home Runs Per Game: .52
Team ERA: 2.92

Team Batting Average: .252
Team Scoring: 3.41
Home Runs Per Game: .32
Team ERA: 2.44

Bat performance effectively has been capped since ABI implementation in 2008.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
No it's just the model that's being used. "Experts tell us", Shame, Ridicule and "For the good of the children".

Quit whining. We ARE talking about children.

Ok, riseball is talking about elite P5 athletes, which is a different story.

One of my posts may have been a bit harsh, but my DD 3 really did knock the mask off a 3B with a line drive, and it would've been traumatic for DD 3 if she had seriously injured another player in a kids' game. And I WOULD blame the fielder's parents if DD 3 injured a kid with no mask. If that makes me an Alinskyite, I don't give a darn. * If parents don't care about their kids' safety, I still blame them for not caring about the emotions of the batters. If that is shaming, I don't give a darn. *

* yes, I know that's the shortstop and the 3B is I Don't Know.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Who's whining. I'm just pointing out the tactic to garner support. It's obviously effective or it wouldn't be used so often for various causes.

IF you feel better making your kid wear a mask go for it. I'll never call them out and I'm sure no decent parent is going to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877