Maryland High School Softball Rules and Strike Zones

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 1, 2013
PlayPerfect is correct with the high school strike zone rule.

But, I can tell you from actual experience attempting to use this strike zone Point of Emphasis...the coaches; players and fans display plenty of dissatisfaction when you call that "high strike."

I keep calling it and they adjust, but plenty of comments directed at calling that a strike. :)

It will take time for everyone to adjust from the past.

Feb 7, 2013
Question? Throughout the year, don't some umpires work different games from two or more rule sets (e.g. NHFS and ASA) and if so, do we really expect them to change their "personal" strikezone to accommodate the differences?

Nov 1, 2013
It appears that all rule sets are attempting to open up the strike zone and call it as the rule is written.

In responding to quincy's comments about squeezing a good pitcher and give the lessor pitcher more room...for me it's just the opposite. A good pitcher is always around the strike zone and hitting her spots...so they get the close calls.

The weaker pitcher is all over the place and couldn't hit a spot at all. When she pitches and has no consistency...I probably miss a few strikes that I would have called for a better pitcher. Now, if I have a pitcher that can't find the strike zone at all...sure I will open up the zone for the first strike, but never the third strike. I have to find a way to get the batter to start swinging and make it a game.

Umpire life at the lower level can be miserable...I did a DH this week with one game a varsity and the next game a JV. Trust me it was ugly for that JV game. Hard to keep your focus when the play level is so weak.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Question? Throughout the year, don't some umpires work different games from two or more rule sets (e.g. NHFS and ASA) and if so, do we really expect them to change their "personal" strikezone to accommodate the differences?

Absolutely! Umpires should be changing their zone every batter, unless every batter is the same height!

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
You must be referencing NCAA rules because NFHS says this..."The strike zone for fast-pitch is the space over any part of home plate which is between the batter's forward armpit and the top of the knees when the batter assumes a natural batting stance. Any part of the ball passing through the strike zone in flight over the plate shall be considered a strike."

Im all for the full strike zone.. Its a hitters game and swinging should be encouraged and balls over the plate and in the correct zone should be rewarded. What should not be rewarded are balls three balls outside the plate or mid shin. I find that umpires zones are typically too low and too wide. The forward armpit is above the girls center mass of their breasts, and they are rarely if ever called a strike. Balls that are at the sternum is clearly in the strike zone, and umpires rarely call that a strike.

Yes, it was the NCAA zone I was referencing in response to Sparky!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad