Making Softball More Exciting for Really Young Girls

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 2, 2008
I have been thinking back to our tee-ball days ( my coaching partner has a daughter starting tee-ball next year ) trying to come up with a better plan. My thought is keep tee-ball just that, coaches were pitching 3 pitches then going off of the tee, they learned nothing, I believe that we delayed their hitting development significantly, their form was horrible trying to make contact on the live pitches. My daughters (10-U) hit off of a tee way more now then they did in tee-ball. The next time around we will be focusing on very basic hitting fundamentals, only off of a tee. I think there is too much going on for a 6 year olds brain to focus on hitting live pitching with any kind of decent fundamentals. Seriously, go watch tee-ballers trying to hit live pitching, it's atrocious, funny, but atrocious. It should make the game go faster to. Just a thought.

Mike

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
In our town, boys and girls play Tee ball at 6 yo. After seeing two girls go thru this, I can say I think it's a correct way to start. One season, first year and then move on. Games were usually held to an hour, but each team hit through the batting order twice. It was not exciting to watch but the kids were learning and having fun.

The girls at 7 yo could either play softball (girls only) or coach-pitch baseball (boys and girls). The low level softball that worked the best (we tried it two ways) allowed the pitcher to pitch until she walked 4 batters in a row and then the coach would pitch for the rest of the inning. We tried to keep the games a reasonable length of time.

we heard horror stories of the coed coach-pitch league where games would drag on because coaches insisted their 7 y.o.s to play to win rather than limiting the time. "A tie is like kissing your sister" mentality. at 7 y.o.? give me a break!

Jan 15, 2009
What cemented Baseball as a fun sport for my son was a season ending in house tournament in 3rd grade where half the team left for the cabin and we were forced to play with 7 kids. I asked the tournament director if I had to forfeit and he told me to play with what I had.

This was machine pitch, 7 pitches per batter, and the catcher at that age is a worhtless spot. There is no stealing and most of the kids let the balls go to the fence and just return them in between batters. So I played short one outfielder and a catcher.

We ended up going 5-1 that weekend and taking third place out of 30 teams in large part due to how engaged the 7 boys were. Getting to bat almost every inning for 6 games didn't hurt either. It made me consider that the game was actually better with 7 players than with 13 from an interest level and a skills improvement level. What kid wouldn't prefer to bat twice as much and always know that they were going to be playing defense somewhere.

I've seen beginning softball programs go in the other direction (15 players per team, 4 outfielders) boring..... I'd recommend getting the team size down to 9 players and if someone can't make it, play with only 2 outfielders.

Aug 21, 2008
in New Zealand, we used to play a game called "fastpitch". Yes, I know what you're thinking. but you see, NZ doesn't have "slowpitch" softball. It's all fastpitch by our language. When someone says I play softball, it's automatically assumed to be fastpitch. However, the distinction of "fastpitch" in their lingo means something different.

Fastpitch rules:

Inning 1... you start with a runner on 1st base.
Inning 2... you start with a runner on 2nd base
Inning 3... you start with a runner on 3rd base.
The cycle repeats itself in inning 4.

3 balls is a walk, strike outs remain the same.

Playing a game this way would promote the strategy of the game (bunting) and teach baserunning. It would also teach pitchers to throw more strikes with 3 balls walking someone. The purpose of this was not to 'teach' the game to kids but it could certainly be used that way.

Bill

Jan 6, 2009
Kenkrause, actually there are some that stick there chest out when they have a no hitter going through 3 innings. But very few..

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying