Backyard bullpen.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 31, 2022
Hi all. We are making way for our 12u pitcher to have enough room in the backyard to practice her pitching. Right now it is basically a dirt lot. I was thinking of just getting St. Augustine installed on the whole thing and then nailing in a mound and dropping down home plate. i know there are so many options as for as putting in turf or concrete or fake grass.. I was wondering what you guys have done that worked for you..pictures if posaible! P.S. we have two large dogs to consider. Thanks!!

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I put in a 55' batting cage from Batting Cages, Inc. It's the trapezoid one, so it doesn't require any cement. I then had my landscaper dig out two patches of grass and install RCA as an underlayment for two turf batting mats. I use one in the normal configuration and turned the other one 90° for pitching. The mats are 6 X 10 feet, so turning one lengthwise is more than enough for her to pitch from.

Lastly, I bought a pitching rubber and nailed it through the turf. I left the rest of the grass intact. It's durable, and putting the RCA beneath the turf makes it drain really well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loudee16