Lynkspyder vs The Fence Clip

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 23, 2016
Being that a pretty small movement of a carefully-positioned camera can easily put fence wire in the middle of the view, the lack of a firm/clamping connection has me hesitant, especially on some of the tweaked/bowed fences many of us have to deal with. If you haven't had an issue, that's good. However, the engineering side of my brain is struggling with it.

Yup, that can definitely happen on occasion. The angled mounting bracket usually fits snug in the V of the fencing, where it's tough to move side-to-side. That being said, it's not foolproof (especially with warped and curved fences) and I have seen the pole rotate enough that the fencing can block part of the camera. The bungee cord works great for preventing additional rotation.

I'll try to find the video I took of myself fiercely shaking the fence to try and get the camera off center, and load it to youtube.

Sep 23, 2016
Well, I couldn't find the video of me hitting balls at the backstop and my mount, but here are a couple that somewhat show how it can handle the fence moving. This first one has kids climbing the backstop, and the only time the mount moves is when a boy grabs it and tries to lift himself higher.

https://youtu.be/ieNd4yBbFDc

And here is one of my kids throwing a ball directly at the camera and mount. Granted, it's a plastic ball thrown with the force of a 6 year old, but it will have to do until I can create another one with me hitting softballs at it. Note that I didn't use my bungee cord in either video.

https://youtu.be/94QvW2byX5w

Jun 12, 2015
Ran into the same problem this past weekend with the fence clip as we had before - fencing too thick for the grooves to hold the mount securely. We actually missed the first game because we tried to use it anyway and it got knocked askew. We're actually pretty lucky it didn't fall off. Switched to the Lynk Spyder for the rest of the day. The more I use the fence clip and the lynk spyder the more I prefer the lynk spyder. The fence clip is 100% awesome, when conditions are perfect, but that doesn't happen very often around these parts.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Ran into the same problem this past weekend with the fence clip as we had before - fencing too thick for the grooves to hold the mount securely. We actually missed the first game because we tried to use it anyway and it got knocked askew. We're actually pretty lucky it didn't fall off. Switched to the Lynk Spyder for the rest of the day. The more I use the fence clip and the lynk spyder the more I prefer the lynk spyder. The fence clip is 100% awesome, when conditions are perfect, but that doesn't happen very often around these parts.

Good to know. I haven't run into that situation yet, but I've only used the Fence Clip a couple of times so far.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
chipper1csu - Someone PLEASE put head protection on the little girl behind the plate!! Even at those speeds, a foul ball to her head/face could be devastating. :(

Sep 23, 2016
chipper1csu - Someone PLEASE put head protection on the little girl behind the plate!! Even at those speeds, a foul ball to her head/face could be devastating. :(

I agree! Luckily she was only catching for the one batter, and the 'normal' catcher in full gear came out after that. But you are right, still very dangerous!

Jan 21, 2019
GREAT discussion !

I have a newer fenceclip and like it alot. Like some of the others have mentioned though, it is easy and a breeze on good fences. Bad fences need some 'playtime' for optimal viewpoints.

Things I LOVE -
1 Easy to use, and I mean EASY !
2 VERY small foot print both on the fence or in my case/backpack.
3 One handed attachment and detachment to the fence allowing me multiple angle changes in between innings if I choose.

Things I DONT love -
1 - The compression spring in the tensioner assembly is VERY weak...so much so I didnt trust it to hold securely.
***** My solution involved a trip to home depot for a sturdier spring. Came home, cut to size and viola - Problem solved!

2 - I like to use an integrated battery bank with my Go Pro so I dont need to change batteries all day. I use a digipower for better or worse, that has advantages and disagvantages, but thats another discussion......https://www.bestbuy.com/site/digipo...H8d7-pISSNkpLLcrKuMaAqXBEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
So, what happens if after my go pro is mounted inside the battery bank ( Which is also waterproof btw, so rainstorms dont scare me at all...) The height of the lens DOES NOT correspond to the holes in the chain link fence! First time I saw this, I was of course at the ball park, trying to film for the first time....I was livid....lol took me a damn long time to angle the lens to get a decent shot.....
*****My Solution was an angle extender Something like this Amazon product ASIN B07C4BGZVGWhat it allows me to do is raise and lower the lens to wherever I want it quickly and easily. Ive also learned to get better shots of balls and strikes by going WAY high on the fence and angling the lens down... Problem solved ! This is my favorite Go Pro gadget of all time.....

3 - Its just NOT GOOD for old beat up fences...PERIOD. .Dont yet have a solution other than the linemans pliers I now keep in my backpack to create better shaped holes to mount within. Gonna have to find that left handed fence stretcher my older brother always had me hunt for as a kid...LOL

***********On another note, how the hell does anyone keep theor Go Pro cool enough to shoot all day ( I live in FL ) at 4K/60 without overheating and shutting down ?

Jun 12, 2015
I bring an extra hat (like a baseball cap) and hang it over it once I get it mounted, to help with the direcy sun. It still gets hot though.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
Agree on the ball cap. That's what we do. But on shooting 4K, you only get the wide view that if you crop down you are in the 1080p range. We recommend shooting at 1080p/60. It is good resolution for the sport and works the camera less hard, and therefore shuts down less. Make sure when you use external power that you power the external up before the camera. This helps prevent internal battery charging when recording. This also keeps the heat down.

May 1, 2019
Purchased the lynkspyder with exterior battery hung inside a cheap bag for my gopro black7. Best investment so far. I did see the fenclip being used last weekend tournament and the lady took it down b4 the end of the game.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying