Love the progress, feeling a little overwhelmed...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 18, 2013
MN
I was not even sure what to title this thread, but just need to hear some thoughts from other pitchers parents. For the record, this is not meant as a brag thread. DD's progress since this past fall is to me staggering, but these past 4 -5 weeks I've really noticed her reach another level. The change in her speed, ability to locate her pitches, and her addition of movement pitches have brought her to this new level of pitching.

I attribute this jump to the amazing PCs that she has been working with this summer and LOTS of circle time. Wondering if others see significant "jumps" like this or if everyone is different.

Lots of positive things going along with this:
-coaches of other teams starting to know her by name
-umpires giving out compliments after the game
-Pc wanting to know which club teams she will try out for

Of course along with the positive come the negative:
-umpires strike zone shrinking to a postage stamp after dd strikes out first 6 batters
-parents of other team trash talking dd behind backstop
-parents of other team sitting behind backstop and telling their batters pitch sequences and where to set up in the box

So I guess I'm just wondering if others have had similar experiences on this journey, or maybe I'm just being ulta-sensitive. The great part of it is that dd seems to be taking it all in stride like it's just all part of the gig. I'm a very proud bucket mom :)

ArkFastpitch

Dont' I know you?
Sep 20, 2013
I love the trash talking. That just means DD is doing her job. I like it even more when DD comes in to relive and she's throwing her warmup pitches over the middle of the plate and the other parents are calling her an easy hit. With the first batter, she then puts a nasty little drop on the outside corner or whatever other junk she has up her sleeve and its nothing but silence from then on out. Makes me giggle a little every time.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Yes, you will see significant jumps in progress. You will also see periods in which she seems to regress and struggle. Just remember to keep your DD focused, practice through it with the help of her PC and stay positive.

With ever increasing success, you will notice jealousy and ever increasing nastiness around the field...even among your own team parents on occasion. People tend to fear others that are better than them or their loved ones at a certain skill. Instead of working harder (or at all) and increasing their skill level or that of their loved ones, they would prefer to criticize and belittle those that do. Unfortunately, that is the social climate we live in. Instead of improving themselves, they prefer to tear down those that are better and bring them down to their level of competence. It can become a struggle to deal with it sometimes.

However, it all comes down to how you, as the parent, deal with it. If you take it as a badge of honor and don't let it bother you, your DD will follow your lead.

Last edited:

ArkFastpitch

Dont' I know you?
Sep 20, 2013
Yes, you will see significant jumps in progress. You will also see periods in which she seems to regress and struggle. Just remember to keep your DD focused, practice through it with the help of her PC and stay positive.

With ever increasing success, you will notice jealousy and ever increasing nastiness around the field...even among your own team parents on occasion. People tend to fear others that are better than them or their loved ones at a certain skill. Instead of working harder (or at all) and increasing their skill level or that of their loved ones, they would prefer to criticize and belittle those that do. Unfortunately, that is the social climate we live in. Instead of improving themselves, they prefer to tear down those that are better and bring them down to their level of competence. It can become a struggle to deal with it sometimes.

However, it all comes down to how you, as the parent, deal with it. If you take it as a badge of honor and don't let it bother you, your DD will follow your lead.

Very well said.

Sep 10, 2013
DD did her transition from HE to IR and was doing very well with her former team. she got all sorts of positive comments from UMPs, other parents but in the end got less mound time almost to the extent that all she did was the 'clean-up' work. go figure.

Mar 31, 2014
We had plenty of both worlds this year. DD's been pitching for 4 months now and one game she can't miss the strike zone, the next she can't find it. Her best moment was when she came in in relief and after a couple of Ks the opposing coach actually called time, came over and asked if we could put the other pitcher back in so his girls could have a chance to hit (DD was throwing BBs that day). Turn around the next week and coaches are coming over trying to tell us how to fix her motion (they think IR is wrong) and throw fewer balls.

It's been an up and down season but it does apparat that her struggles have only made her want it more. Taking a couple weeks off then going to start from scratch. Most of her issues come from learning HE for 3 months and switching to IR in the last few weeks. She can't wait to get started but to be honest, I'm enjoying this couch so I'm gonna soak it up for a couple weeks before returning to the bucket.

May 29, 2013
We had plenty of both worlds this year. DD's been pitching for 4 months now and one game she can't miss the strike zone, the next she can't find it. Her best moment was when she came in in relief and after a couple of Ks the opposing coach actually called time, came over and asked if we could put the other pitcher back in so his girls could have a chance to hit (DD was throwing BBs that day). Turn around the next week and coaches are coming over trying to tell us how to fix her motion (they think IR is wrong) and throw fewer balls.

It's been an up and down season but it does apparat that her struggles have only made her want it more. Taking a couple weeks off then going to start from scratch. Most of her issues come from learning HE for 3 months and switching to IR in the last few weeks. She can't wait to get started but to be honest, I'm enjoying this couch so I'm gonna soak it up for a couple weeks before returning to the bucket.

Get yourself one of those bleacher seats and bolt it to the bucket. Viola! Bucket couch, or couch bucket. Working hard and staying comfortable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom