Louisville zephyr vs Mizuno gxs92

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 9, 2011
Dd is a "beginning" catcher. She currently plays 10u travel, but is also on a 12 u rec team where she catches a couple 12u travel ball pitchers.

She has been using the Louisville mitt. It is light weight and seems to work ok, but does seem to be a little better with the 11" ball than the 12" ball. Definitely seeing balls "pop" out at times, but I'm bot sure if this is just due to her inexperience.

The zephyr is listed as 32.5". Should I be looking at a 34" mitt? I've noticed several posts praising the gxs92-would this be a better choice than her current mitt?

Jun 21, 2010
I'd stick with the smaller mitt. Going up in size usually increases weight. DD has gone through several catcher mitts to find the one that works for her best. Louisville Catalyst. I think it's 33". Broke in quickly and the ball stays in the mitt. It's important that pitchers have confidence that their catcher will catch the ball.

Apr 1, 2010
DD had an Easton Stealth in 10U that she loved, but the balls popped out of it easily. She's at 12U now and got a Mizuno 92 this fall. It's a super, super mitt for this age range. The balls just do not come out. It's also not heavy and is very comfortable, looks nice and it didn't need much breaking in. If you don't mind dropping the $80 or so, I highly recommend it.

May 1, 2011
Wife talked me out of the Mizuno and we bought the Zephyr. I regret listening. For $80, you get a pretty quality product with the Mizuno. Don't care for the Zephyr AT ALL!!!!

Feb 28, 2012
DD used a first base mitt for the first couple of years (she is now 16). Moved up to LS VK204 Valkyrie earlier this year and then just switched to the Mizuno 92. LOVES IT.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
Based on DD's experience, I would humbly suggest the springy H-type webs for someone who struggles a bit to hold the ball. The closed web seems to magnify that problem, unless she's losing it off the heel.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Dd is a "beginning" catcher. She currently plays 10u travel, but is also on a 12 u rec team where she catches a couple 12u travel ball pitchers.

She has been using the Louisville mitt. It is light weight and seems to work ok, but does seem to be a little better with the 11" ball than the 12" ball. Definitely seeing balls "pop" out at times, but I'm bot sure if this is just due to her inexperience.

I believe the Mizuno GX-92 is the best catcher's mitt for the money. Great glove - all our catcher's love it.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
I use an Easton SYN2FP when working with my fastpitch catchers. This is a 33 inch mitt designed for fastpitch. Anytime my catchers are dropping pitches, I trade them gloves. (Yes I have small hands :-D)
Invariably they no longer drop pitches. I got mine from Ebay for under $50. It's a great glove that breaks in quickly. I would not be looking at at anything bigger than a 33 inch glove for your daughter's age.

No matter which glove you choose, it should be designed for female catchers. This seems simple enough but I see many female catchers come in with baseball mitts. The most important thing is to get a glove that she can catch the ball with.

-Chaz @ ACC

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06