Lost all my Pitchers Friday

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 13, 2010
We had an away game Friday , The head coach took my Two Freshmen pitchers to use in the outfield.
I had 14 girls and Two pitchers now I have to finnish the season with 12 girls and NO pitchers.

NONE of my other girls has ever pitched and only 2 have played before this year.
The varsity can now boast 5 Pitchers . The head coach told me that the JV team winning or losing is not his concern And that I should "MAKE A PITCHER REAL QUICK " If I am any kind of Coach. Well I will try but It has usually taken me quite a while to get someone accurate enough for a game.
I Love a challenge I hope I am up to this one.

May 21, 2010
Davenport, IA
Wild Man, your not associated with Davenport North are you?? I am, to a degree, in the same situation. Our 14u feeder team has 2 good pitchers and a good short stop. But, the H.S. Varsity team is short players and only has 1 pitcher (a sophomore). So, there goes my 3 players to play with the older girls and now I am stuck with 9 players. Only difference is I have 2 other pitchers, sort of. Yes they both can get it over the plate.... but after this weekend I would say the K to BB ratio would be 1-6. Maybe 1-5 on a good day against the right team.

Best of luck in your situation. I know we will sure need help :)

May 8, 2009
Florida
Any chance of reasoning with him. Doesnt make sense to have young pitchers not getting experience when you have enough. Better to move two that are OFs. What will he do in future years then - make a pitcher real quick?

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
It would be easier for him to take 2 other girls and make OF's real quick. or take 1 kid to make an OF and switch the other two off so they are still getting to pitch.

Can they play on both teams? Where they are not "riding the pine", they are being used but playing OF is not developing their pitching skills. Kind of like burning down your house to keep warm. In our town we have some" swing players" who play JV and get called up to Varsity as needed.

It takes thousands of pitches, time and determination to make a pitcher. If you take other kids who aren't pitchers and try to make them pitchers, they won't be developing at their position. Only filling a temporary gap for the team.

Oct 19, 2009
We had an away game Friday , The head coach took my Two Freshmen pitchers to use in the outfield.
I had 14 girls and Two pitchers now I have to finnish the season with 12 girls and NO pitchers.

NONE of my other girls has ever pitched and only 2 have played before this year.
The varsity can now boast 5 Pitchers . The head coach told me that the JV team winning or losing is not his concern And that I should "MAKE A PITCHER REAL QUICK " If I am any kind of Coach. Well I will try but It has usually taken me quite a while to get someone accurate enough for a game.
I Love a challenge I hope I am up to this one.

The schools in our area some players play varsity and b-team, the games are on the same day one first and then other. They are rules you can only play so much in each game, but you can play the majority of both and can be available if needed.

It takes time to develop a pitcher and cannot be done overnight and if this coach thinks you can do that he doesn’t know much about pitching. Sounds like a good way to discourage a bunch of kids that are his future players. I would rather have a kid getting experience in a game than setting the bench as an extra. :confused:

We had a b-team tournament few years ago and we only had 2 pitchers for both b-team and varsity, my daughter was a freshman and the other a junior. My daughter pitched 4 games and won the tournament, but the junior pitcher went in case she was needed. IMO the pitches need the experience they would gain in the b-team games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LisagS24