Looking to play college softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
kattel, if you still have the passion then you can find the place to play. You have to weigh the passion to play versus your education goals. What you need to do is decide is what will you think of yourself 10 years down the road. We all have that time when we know we still have it. Then, we go through the time where we know we can play BUT we know we need to move on. Then, you'll get to be like me and be 100% better in stories than you were in real life.:cool::eek::cool:

Jun 16, 2010
I agree too, that at this time of year things are stacked against you. But if you have the skills, and are not only looking for a free-ride, you can likely still find a school you can play for next year. As said, there are dozens of DIII and NAIA schools in most states that do have trouble finding players. Particularly schools with no athletic scholarships.

There is a small private college about 3 hrs from us, with no athletic scholarships that comes to recruit at local tournaments we host every summer. Now we attract a few of the best teams from a multi state area, but its not a recruiting showcase, etc. They talk to anyone that will talk to them, hand out literature, etc. They bring 3 representatives too to do so. They have a tough job, and can only fill it by contacting the maximum # of players possible, hoping that someone will discover that their school is a good match for their needs.

Aug 16, 2010
Follow your passion and don't let others dampen your enthusiasm for the game. You are only young once. You mentioned LA/OK. Check out Louisiana College - DIII program which regularly competes for National Title with good Criminal Justice Program. Also, Oklahoma City University is an NAIA program that competes at national level consistently. There are countless others - but I have personal experience with both and would recommend either. Send em a video and good luck.

Jan 13, 2011
Homewood, AL
Currently attending Sam Houston State University but still looking to play softball. I have made numerous efforts to contact the coach here at Sam but have had no luck. I have been trying since the beginning of this year to get on a softball team anywhere. Had a couple of tryouts but was unable to attend because of High school graduation. Does anyone know of colleges or junior colleges holding tryouts soon? Also any good ideas on a skill video? Thank you in advance for your help.

Walk yourself in to the Coaches' offices. At the very least, this would show them, and it'll give you a boost, too, your desire to get to the heart of the matter. Confidence will drive you further. What have you got to lose...maybe a negative answer? :)

Attending college camps (on campus) at your particular schools of interst!! Its is a sure fire way to get face to face contact.
Do research!!!!!! Become familiar in knowing names and faces of coaching staff and players. Show up extra extra early and start talking. Let any and evryone associated with the team know your wanting to be a student athlete there.
Ive known highly skilled players useing these camps to "expose" themselves, not for skills development.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06