'Looking Large' in the circle

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 31, 2011
"Looking Large"
I'd like to express a concept that I think is a more realistic approach to "looking large" which has to do with the importance of a pitcher understanding the importance of communicating a poised presence about themselves which would include their body language etc. that can just be sensed by teammates and opponents. In a very real way this kind of communication can't be performed. It is there or it isn't! One of our challenges as a coach is to build this in our students which is an intangible inner strength that is built thru proper preparation and an awareness of one's self-talk, and many other things along this line that I'm struggling to describe. It is demonstrated in many, many ways: including a neutral reaction to success or failure. Insecure opponents could even judge it as "arrogance" and teammates feel it in an assuring way that will contribute to their poise and confidence etc. (I wish I could say this better; but I know it is a very real attribute and it can't be faked!)

Jan 20, 2011
Rich, you said that perfectly.

I would love the moderators to copy that comment and turn it into a permanent thread.

This aspect of pitching is seldom addressed that really makes all the difference in the world at the higher levels. Thanks for the contribution. Best post I've seen in a long time.

Oct 22, 2009
"Looking Large"
I'd like to express a concept that I think is a more realistic approach to "looking large" which has to do with the importance of a pitcher understanding the importance of communicating a poised presence about themselves which would include their body language etc. that can just be sensed by teammates and opponents. In a very real way this kind of communication can't be performed. It is there or it isn't! One of our challenges as a coach is to build this in our students which is an intangible inner strength that is built thru proper preparation and an awareness of one's self-talk, and many other things along this line that I'm struggling to describe. It is demonstrated in many, many ways: including a neutral reaction to success or failure. Insecure opponents could even judge it as "arrogance" and teammates feel it in an assuring way that will contribute to their poise and confidence etc. (I wish I could say this better; but I know it is a very real attribute and it can't be faked!)

I always explain this to my pitchers;

Put yourself in your teammates' position. You are playing centerfield, and it's 100 degrees outside, you're hot, sweaty, tired, thirsty, and you are down by 3 runs.

Who do you want in the circle pitching for you? The pitcher that's given up, or the one that is saying, "I got this!"?

And the part where you describe, "Nuetral Reaction". My own DD was guilty of this, her college coach once even told her to try and display more emotion on the rubber, well this just wasn't how she was so for the next inning she displayed "sarcastic emotion", in which her coach motioned to her, "Nevermind!".

Jul 26, 2010
Neutral emotion works in lieu of personality. Unfortunately sometimes the best players really are the trained softball robots. However, when you do get a great player with a competitive positive personality that comes out on the field, the entire team is made better by the experience.

-W

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
And when you progress to the point you can defeat your opponents, whats the next step up the ladder for a pitcher?

Have just as much fun as you can making your opponents look untalented.

Or you can stand in the circle and look like a mortician. The more you can get the other team to focus on and be thinking about the pitcher and what she is doing, the less focus they will be able to put on the ball and what it is doing.

Look like a mortician, strike out a batter and watch her go back to the dugout. I much prefer striking out a batter, watch her go back to her dugout and throw the bat up against the bat rack because she is so mad. That's when ya know you own em!

Jul 17, 2012
And when you progress to the point you can defeat your opponents, whats the next step up the ladder for a pitcher?

Have just as much fun as you can making your opponents look untalented.

Or you can stand in the circle and look like a mortician. The more you can get the other team to focus on and be thinking about the pitcher and what she is doing, the less focus they will be able to put on the ball and what it is doing.

Look like a mortician, strike out a batter and watch her go back to the dugout. I much prefer striking out a batter, watch her go back to her dugout and throw the bat up against the bat rack because she is so mad. That's when ya know you own em!

More Drinking and Posting...

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
I don't know, Hal... being known as "The Mortician" in the circle has a certain ring to it.

In any sport and event in life, if your motivation does not come from within... but instead is focused outward - your successes will only build you up so that when you fail, you fall farther and harder. You can only fall so far... before you can't pick yourself back up.

Winning with poise and with respect of the game and your opponent, is what any team sport is about.

Jul 14, 2008
Winning with poise and with respect of the game and your opponent................

........Which is why I LOVE GOLF SO MUCH..........

Very well said Java.........

There are things that are down right disrespectful to yourself.........your opponent........AND ESPECIALLY THE GAME.......

Apr 19, 2010
........Which is why I LOVE GOLF SO MUCH..........

Very well said Java.........

There are things that are down right disrespectful to yourself.........your opponent........AND ESPECIALLY THE GAME.......

AMEN to that!!
Others might or can misinterpret actions. MOst important be respectful to our game!

c101

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207