Looking for some feedback on Swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
That . . . is a pretty good swing.

For my eyes, her sequence is good - she loads well, holds the coil forward, gets great separation and gets some POW! at attack.

If she does these same things on a pitched ball, she's got something pretty special.

Jun 13, 2011
That . . . is a pretty good swing.

For my eyes, her sequence is good - she loads well, holds the coil forward, gets great separation and gets some POW! at attack.

If she does these same things on a pitched ball, she's got something pretty special.

She's playing this weekend in tourney. I am going to try and get some game action swings to see if its similar.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

wtj688.gif

Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
As I look at it again, if there were something I was going to "critique" and work on (this is nit-picky), I notice her swing gets a little "long" as she attacks the ball. She doesn't really hit "from the back hip" and her arms get a little "pushy" as she moves into the ball.

If it were my hitter, I would have her work on hitting balls from a deeper tee (closer to home plate) and work on hitting with more "12-6" barrel speed (behind) than "9-3" barrel speed (in front). There are threads that discuss this elsewhere on DFP if you want more info on this. It is also referred to as swinging with the back rather than swinging with her chest.

Again, your kid has a great swing, and I'd be proud of the work she's done to get it.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
I agree that there's a LOT of good stuff going on here. Nice swing!

I think her bath path is fine. Her 12-6 bat speed, however, could be improved a bit. Basically, this means launching the bat immediately and explosively from "go" with the bat moving fast right from the top of the swing (12-o'clock).

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
I agree that it is a good swing.

I think it can be even shorter also.

just have to keep that knob from losing that race with the rear elbow.
That would drive the barrel around much quicker.

Oct 25, 2009
As I look at it again, if there were something I was going to "critique" and work on (this is nit-picky), I notice her swing gets a little "long" as she attacks the ball. She doesn't really hit "from the back hip" and her arms get a little "pushy" as she moves into the ball.

If it were my hitter, I would have her work on hitting balls from a deeper tee (closer to home plate) and work on hitting with more "12-6" barrel speed (behind) than "9-3" barrel speed (in front). There are threads that discuss this elsewhere on DFP if you want more info on this. It is also referred to as swinging with the back rather than swinging with her chest.

Again, your kid has a great swing, and I'd be proud of the work she's done to get it.

I agree! The tee is way to far out toward the pitcher. Move the tee back! Then make sure she adjusts her swing to match.

Jun 13, 2011
wtj688.gif

Alot of good in this swing and alot to work with.
Coils 'around' her rear leg not 'into' her rearleg good.
A little 'nit picking'.
JMHO all back all forward. See Noontime drill.
Looks like 'knob to ball'. See 'turn the barrel'.
Create a 'corner' not 'streach' the corner.
Like to see some 'sat' in the rearside.
Looks to be swinging 'around' her body not 'out' from her body.
Again this is me 'nit picking' and again JMHO.

I am new to the Hitting forum but have been reading the turn the barrel threads. I will look up terms you mentioned to get a better idea what your referring to.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207