Looking for some advice on HS ball because this dad is driving the struggle bus (Sorry another HS topic)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 27, 2020
Deserves has nothing to do with it. What if the team is undefeated so far?

Don’t think the “what if” situation should be applied. What if they are winless? What if OPs daughter is better than the current pitcher.

I’ve been telling my DD for years to work hard and put in the extra time and if you get positive results you’ll play and it’s paid off. I’m sure a lot of parents have instilled this in their kids. Now when she does that and gets a response that regardless of work and/or results she doesn’t deserve to play, what does that tell her?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I appreciate the feedback. I understand the reticence about having apps on the phone, but this was a district requirement. It was a free app. He just needed to add a payment method in the event he chose to make any in-app purchases.

Honestly, we hope he retires so no one needs to go to the AD and the AC gets the job.
To be honest, I am a little touchy when age is factored in. Many will recall that last year I was posting that I was done coaching. Then, an emergency happened and the school that I am at needed a HC. I jumped back in. I still think I have something to offer. I do understand that many most likely view me the same way and think it is time I step to the side. It is the way of all things.

Jul 19, 2021
Deserves has nothing to do with it. What if the team is undefeated so far?
Just stop. Even college coaches get the 28th player on the bench a little time here and there. There's no defending this coach in this circumstance so quit with your contrarian stance.

May 17, 2012
Don’t think the “what if” situation should be applied. What if they are winless? What if OPs daughter is better than the current pitcher.

I’ve been telling my DD for years to work hard and put in the extra time and if you get positive results you’ll play and it’s paid off. I’m sure a lot of parents have instilled this in their kids. Now when she does that and gets a response that regardless of work and/or results she doesn’t deserve to play, what does that tell her?

Sure it matters. If the player in front of you is hitting/fielding/pitching successfully, and/or the team is winning that means something. It doesn't matter if you think you are better, if you are better, what you deserve, etc.

Now if the team isn't having success and the player in front of you is not fielding/hitting/pitching well AND you are still not getting your shot that is another story.

Some coaches never change a winning batting lineup. If you are hitting 7th and you think you deserve to bat 4th it doesn't matter. It's hard to argue against success.

Aug 25, 2019
@Frost033 what is the record of your team? If they are a winning team, nothing is gonna change. Tell your DD to accept that fact this year, everyday is one day closer to season end. And that goes for you too, stop getting yourself frustrated and relax. Believe me, I’ve been there.

And enough with “Go to the AD” talk, what do you really expect the AD to do? Force the coach to start DD? If your team is winning, the AD is not going to do anything, because if the AD interfered with a coaches decision, his/her office would be inundated with frustrated parents from all sports.

Aug 20, 2018
@Frost033 what is the record of your team? If they are a winning team, nothing is gonna change. Tell your DD to accept that fact this year, everyday is one day closer to season end. And that goes for you too, stop getting yourself frustrated and relax. Believe me, I’ve been there.

And enough with “Go to the AD” talk, what do you really expect the AD to do? Force the coach to start DD? If your team is winning, the AD is not going to do anything, because if the AD interfered with a coaches decision, his/her office would be inundated with frustrated parents from all sports.
The team is 4-2 currently. In the 2 losses it was clear by the 5th inning it wasn't going to end well as they were down by several runs. And thank you for the advice, I keep trying to remind myself that travel ball is just around the corner and it will be different but having my kid come home in tears almost every night is driving me insane and for the coach to tell her that there is absolutely nothing she can do to get into the starting lineup is beyond frustrating. I've had players I coach come up and ask me what they can do to play more, and I know the hill is steep for them, but I still give them what they need to improve. Saying "nothing" is just a shame.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
Just stop. Even college coaches get the 28th player on the bench a little time here and there. There's no defending this coach in this circumstance so quit with your contrarian stance.

My DD is a freshman in collage this year and I can assure you this is not always the case. And collage plays 4 games over two days as opposed to two HS games a week and yet the same 9 start (and usually finish) most games.
Her team just played a non conference game this last week and one pitcher made her first appearance of the season. Prior to that it was the same 3 pitchers every week.

It is not uncommon for the same 9 to start most games in HS (that includes the pitcher). Two games a week is not exactly a overly demanding schedule.

Feb 24, 2022
The AC is likely afraid that OP’s DD will perform better than AC’s DD.
Or, the coaches just think the #1 pitcher is better. Look, I don't agree with the coaches not getting her any time. But, HS plays 2, maybe 3, games per week. If you have a #1 pitcher you think gives you the best chance to win it's not unreasonable to have her pitch every game. These coaches are looking to win so that they keep their jobs. If they think that the upperclassmen give them the best chance to win that's who they are going to play. Like I said, I don't agree, but it's not crazy. I have seen club teams pitch the same girl in every game of a tournament (3 on Sat and 3 on Sun). So pitching 2 or 3 games in a week isn't anything out of the ordinary.

The best advice that was ever given to me regarding softball is to make sure that my daughter could play more than 1 position. You may be an all-county shortstop, but there could be an all-state shortstop ahead of you in high school for the next 4 years.

My advice for the OP would be to finish out the year. After the season, talk to the coach about the option of having your daughter pitch on JV during the days that varsity doesn't have games. Ultimately, it is the coach's decision, there is no "appeal" that you can make. You can either make the best of it for the next year and a half until the #1 graduates or you daughter can quit and not play. As long as she's getting reps with her club team, then have her focus on that. If you want her to get extra reps look to try to guest on other club teams. It sucks, I understand that. But sports are rarely "fair" at any level.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619