Looking for feedback on this 11 years old swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
There are a couple of things to work on, but first/foremost is, she hit's around the ball. The easiest thing you can do is to tee it up and ask her to hit the inside seem. This will force her to hold the hinge angle a bit longer.

Cabrera_side_inside.gif

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

I personally don't look at it as "holding a hinge angle" ... but I believe I get what Howe is suggesting.

The hinge angle is technically more about the bottom hand wrist angle ... and I'm more focused on the top hand wrist and how it releases energy. To me, it's more of a feel of allowing the wrists to work & unhinge properly.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Correct Five. Hitting the inside seem is the goal, you would hope that the result would be more of a non-casting of the barrel, or more of a held hinge. Holding the hinge is not the goal though.

Jun 23, 2011
NC
Howe I get the focus of trying to hit the the inside seam, at one time I used that cue a lot, but I was swayed away from that as someone told me it was a bad cue and I should focus on the players hitting behind the ball and hitting it basically flush, which might explain why some of my girls are getting their hands out too much, so I will go back that cue again. So would you say that while instructing I should focus on lateral tilt, holding the hinge longer with the intent of hitting the inside seam would be a good way to deliver the message. Thanks
Correct Five. Hitting the inside seem is the goal, you would hope that the result would be more of a non-casting of the barrel, or more of a held hinge. Holding the hinge is not the goal though.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Howe I get the focus of trying to hit the the inside seam, at one time I used that cue a lot, but I was swayed away from that as someone told me it was a bad cue and I should focus on the players hitting behind the ball and hitting it basically flush, which might explain why some of my girls are getting their hands out too much, so I will go back that cue again. So would you say that while instructing I should focus on lateral tilt, holding the hinge longer with the intent of hitting the inside seam would be a good way to deliver the message. Thanks

Stik, attacking the ball from the inside doesn't mean you don't get behind the ball. Before commenting on your other questions, I'd prefer to see the girls swing while using just that cue.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Stik, attacking the ball from the inside doesn't mean you don't get behind the ball. Before commenting on your other questions, I'd prefer to see the girls swing while using just that cue.

Place ball on tee like this.
ball-contact-point.png

Jun 23, 2011
NC
ok give me a week we are in a tournament this weekend I may be able to get a live swing with a parents help here or there, next week I will have a lesson with her probably middle of the week, I will try to build that one thought back into her of hitting the inside seam. Another question I want her to sink that rear leg a little more for some leverage when she loads up do you think would be a good move for her lower half, just curious your thoughts on that as well.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I laughed when I read this post ... mostly because I'm guessing that you were serious.

Lots of yada yada yada about nonsense. Nothing about her sequence issues.

Who the heck cares if the video of a crappy swing looks good? The idea is to get better.

You are right!!! Serious as it gets :cool: Read my disclaimer. Sequence.... no one cares about that, that is working UP from feet first. Maybe later on, once I can establish it's origin, seems vague. I could post this last clip.... every frame, and you call out # and list the jargon for each division.... lol

People who have the crappy swings care. The ones who are overwhelmed with trying to help them & 8+ others all at once care. People learning to make their own .gif's without the HighSpeed equipment..... ect....

To get better, you have to see where you are.... 99% of the players family,friends & fans will think it looks great. Its can start contagious confidence.

Don't watch Seinfeld, Cheers nor SNL..... Hoping you listen to Country so you will get this. (mass media lovers call for alliance) I have the same truths in Classical Literature:

"If you don't get the picture, then you won't read the writing on the wall" ~GJ's version of da.5

EP: Sorry... thought this was the elephant in the room thread...lol

Last edited: