Looking for feedback on this 11 years old swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
a lot going on that is good here. The biggest thing I see that needs improvement is the lack of extension through the ball, she doesn't release the forearms to drive hard, she holds onto the elbow bends way past contact. The elbows should be slightly bent at contact but should be in the act of releasing to extension.

The other thing I see is more artistic....her mechanics look pretty good but they took to mechanical, I know that sounds odd, but good swings have a certain tempo and flow to them that I don't see here. Its like she is thinking too hard. she also looks kinda bummed to be doing tee work.

Jun 23, 2011
NC
Thanks I agree about the lack of extension we are working of that, she is mechanical as you say, she just came from a two hour Volleyball practice not bummed just a little tired, probably a little camera shy too, she is about to turn 12 and plays 14u A ball for me, not my child but we spend a lot of time together, I was a little concerned that her front side elbow does not work up much past contact in some swings do you think that is from lack of extension or is the lack of extension the result, I guess what I am saying which would better to address to her keeping her elbow moving up the ramp, or just working on getting more extension out front and a little higher possibly, she is a very cerebral player and lights out behind the dish for her age.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
eraaue.jpg

Hard to tell...not because its actually hard, just that I don't know...I would start with getting the extension because everything from her hands to shoulders are pretty frozen right now, once you free her up to release those hands through a little to extension I think you can re-evaluate. I can see her thinking while she swings. In fact I would just stop any new technical advice at this point and get her loosened up in general, my gut says she has enough technical advice floating around right now and it needs to gel and become HER SWING, once she owns it then add a dash of salt and a little pepper here and there but this swing needs to simmer right now and blend together.

Last edited:

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
I see a lot more extension in the clip you added RD. She looks looser and has more snap at the end (she also has the HI dip-not to be confused with the HI dipstick). With the OPs girl she has it all going and when she loosens it a bit I think she is going to get a lot more power.

Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
At the point of contact, your DD's "triangle" is shown to the ground. She is almost "over" the ball, rather than "behind" the ball, which really sucks the power or POW out of her swing.

This is why I teach my hitters to "turn the triangle" with lateral tilt in the shoulders. There has been debate about this recently, but your DD's clip is why I think it's important to get the shoulders tilted to get the hands in the correct position to attack the pitch. She isn't in a strong position at contact, and one of the reasons is because she is attacking from on top, rather than from behind.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Great start for her age. Well ahead of the pack.

Motion analysis software. Kinovea.
Kinovea

FREE I use experimental versions, but since 8.15, they play gifs.

modelhighschool.gif

I find models that would apply a goal to work towards.
In this case some things, like her finish, would probably work, as your daughters tee is lower.

also, I need to work on my girls straight legs. so this would work(the gif) for me.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The sequence needs adjusting. I'm seeing an all-back/all-forward movement. Her hands are starting their forward motion along with her stride and she loses her coil, which is resulting in a push swing.

My (current) favorite hitter - Mig...
2cxchk.gif

Notice how the hands are moving back as the front foot moves forward (winding the spring). The right hip starts forward slightly before the hands start their launch to the ball. Although not as elegant an example, you can see the same order or operations in the girl on the right posted by RDB.

Get the sequence right, and improve the extension through the ball, and that will be a damn good-looking swing.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes