Look back/potential trick play question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Batter/runner rounds first base and runs about 5 feet towards 2nd base, stops, and immediately returns to first base. Pitcher doesn't look toward first base, and doesn't even know what is happening with the walked batter.

Umpire calls batter/runner out, stating; "once she rounded first base she MUST continue running to 2nd base or she is out".

Umpire did not declare this a LBR, merely repeating that the player must run to second once she rounded first toward second base. The score was out of hand (my team losing), so I didn't argue much after he explained his ruling. But I did state to him that I believed he was talking about the LBR, which I believe states the runner must either immediately proceed to one base or the other, which my player did. She therefore should not be out.

Please don't ask why my player even rounded first and moved toward second base, or why my first base coach might have told her to do so. 12U 'C' level. Sometimes goofy things happen.

I'm not going to ask about your player, but I am going to ask why you think the pitcher looking anywhere has anything to do with the play or the rule?

Oct 18, 2009
LBR is misunderstood. During our playoff game, we had a runner on 3rd with no outs. Next batter is walked. Batter jogs to 1st and then sprints to 2nd. Runner at 3rd left the bag on pitcher's release which was ball 4. Catcher throws the ball back to the pitcher who is in the circle. Runner at 3rd stays off bag. When batter/runner hits 1st, runner 3rd walks back to the bag. Defense begins screaming to pitcher to throw the ball to SS running toward 2nd. Pitcher quickly turns to 2nd, brings her glove with ball in glove to her shoulder, and her throwing hand on the ball inside the glove. HP Ump yells dead ball. Runner on 3rd is out citing LBR. When coach asked, ump said runner did not go back to bag when pitcher had ball in circle. Coach reminded ump that LBR did not begin until batter/runner reached 1st. His face was priceless. Ump then said that pitcher did not fake the throw because the pitcher did not pull the ball from the glove so it was not a throw. Umps had conference and again said out. When asked for why, one ump gave 1 reason, the other ump gave another.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
LBR is misunderstood. During our playoff game, we had a runner on 3rd with no outs. Next batter is walked. Batter jogs to 1st and then sprints to 2nd. Runner at 3rd left the bag on pitcher's release which was ball 4. Catcher throws the ball back to the pitcher who is in the circle. Runner at 3rd stays off bag. When batter/runner hits 1st, runner 3rd walks back to the bag. Defense begins screaming to pitcher to throw the ball to SS running toward 2nd. Pitcher quickly turns to 2nd, brings her glove with ball in glove to her shoulder, and her throwing hand on the ball inside the glove. HP Ump yells dead ball. Runner on 3rd is out citing LBR. When coach asked, ump said runner did not go back to bag when pitcher had ball in circle. Coach reminded ump that LBR did not begin until batter/runner reached 1st. His face was priceless. Ump then said that pitcher did not fake the throw because the pitcher did not pull the ball from the glove so it was not a throw. Umps had conference and again said out. When asked for why, one ump gave 1 reason, the other ump gave another.

I wouldn't think that is a play either, but the manner in which it is presented certainly gives cause to question the umpire.

ConorMacleod

Practice Like You Play
Jul 30, 2012
I'm not going to ask about your player, but I am going to ask why you think the pitcher looking anywhere has anything to do with the play or the rule?

I was just painting a picture of what all players in the scenario were doing. I wasn't even sure what was happening until the Umpire called the base runner out and explained she was out because she did not run to second base.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I was just painting a picture of what all players in the scenario were doing. I wasn't even sure what was happening until the Umpire called the base runner out and explained she was out because she did not run to second base.

Thank you. Just asking as quite a few people actually believe the pitcher must "look" the runner back to the base before it can be a violation.

Then again, the rule is unnecessary and should be eliminated from the game.

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
Is it conceivable that the umpire viewed the infielders breaking towards the circle as continuation of play? In other words, if the ball was not quite dead in his view and players were moving on the field, such that the pitcher still remained a regular infielder, would the call be that play had continued and the ball was never dead?

May 30, 2011
Is it conceivable that the umpire viewed the infielders breaking towards the circle as continuation of play? In other words, if the ball was not quite dead in his view and players were moving on the field, such that the pitcher still remained a regular infielder, would the call be that play had continued and the ball was never dead?

The movement of the infielders would have no bearing on the LBR being in effect. If F1 has ball in the circle and is not "making a play" and the batter-runner (if there is one) has reached 1B then it's on!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi