Local league BOD positions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 26, 2015
Sebastopol, Ca.
My local league is currently in turmoil, and it looks as if most the board will be replaced next season if we want the league to continue. I want to help as much as I can, and have been asked to be either president or player agent.

Can anyone out there give me any insight of what these positions entails with a league of about 120 girls.... Your help is much appreciated.... Thanks.

Sep 29, 2014
Beside one big headache....

Just realize as the president everyone will look to you as the face of the league, if you have a good board you set the direction and then you can delegate a lot and just focus on areas that might need some help if you don't have a good board you are now responsible for everything to hold the league together. On our board the player agent did not do much after draft day, basically your are responsible for making sure all the players are eligible, your handle players asking to play up, trades (if your league allows), evaluations, etc. if it has to do with players and what group/team they are on your have your hand in it

BEFORE volunteering for anything get a copy of the league by-laws and read them carefully

Mar 21, 2013
Small league so a good place to get your feet wet. Most people no nothing when they get into positions like these, I know I didn't. As stated read the league rules and by-laws and always do what's best for the kids, the league and then the parents in that order. If you do the right thing everything will take care of itself. Do the wrong thing i.e. trying to please friends and make friends you will be endlessly chasing your tail...

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I would guess there is a reason that the current board is being disbanded. Especially with the president position expect to spend a ton of time on every little thing until you can recruit/ elect people you trust. I would guess your first priority, after money, would to get organized and people in place so you can have a life.

Aug 5, 2009
Bordentown, NJ
Being President can be a huge job, make sure you have the time to commit.
I did it for several years (500 kid league) and I'll tell ya that from late Feb to Early March, I would put in more hours towards LL than my full time job.

Nicelag is 100% correct though.. In either role, focus on the kids and everything is easier. Try to make parents happy and life gets hard. If you're a good listener, you'll quickly discover that what the kids want, and what the parents think, rarely line up.

Nov 29, 2009
I want to help as much as I can, and have been asked to be either president or player agent.

The first thing you need to understand is the 80/20 rule. That is 80% of the work is done by 20% of those involved. So be ready for every excuse imaginable and some you've never thought of to be given why someone can't meet their obligations.

If your league has a snack shack. Be sure to have someone you absolutely trust running it. When my DD's started in a rec league there was a non-parent who ran the concession stand. He told me how much money they grossed each season from it. It's net nearly covered half of the league's expenses. They were able to keep registration fees reasonable during that time. There was always money when something broke or needed upgrading around the place. Talked to someone who was still involved with the league and they told me the non-parent was forced out by new board members. Two years later they did not have enough money for postage to send out league registration notices and legal action was being taken against a board member for missing monies.

Be ready to piss people off. Your Player Agent needs to be someone who is not part of the Good Ol' Boyz Club that can run rampant in some rec leagues. They need to be there for the benefit of the entire league. Not just the couple of crazy coaches who think they HAVE to win everything. Put rules in place and stick to them.

Be sure to have money and accounting policies in place and keep to them. You'll need to know where every dollar goes. No matter what, you'll be responsible for it. A dual signature check requirement would not be a bad thing to implement. It would be wise to closely review everything at least once a week. Most leagues are 501C's and need to have an independent audit of the books done once a year.

Plan on being there 6 days a week. No matter how well you think you have things organized someone will screw it up thinking they have a better plan. You phone will ring with a constant string of complaints and problems.

What ever you do. Run it your way. It sounds like the league was being run poorly. Don't continue the same cycle even though it looks easier. You may get a lot of push back at first. But stick to your guns for your own sanity.

Hope your wife is understanding. You'll have a demanding 3rd party added to your family.

Good luck.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse