Live Swings...Vote for your favorite!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Here is a video I put together for our players and parents. It reinforces ideas that we worked on this week as a team based on the game swings that are posted to start this thread. There are many things about those swings that need to be tackled but since so many either dropped the hands, dropped the barrel, straightened the arms, casted or arm swung we decided Tuesday to emphasize a lot of upper body issues and related them to the rotation of the hips. This video empasizes what we talked about and is for the parents and kids. The kids made some progress. I thought I would share it so we all could learn and benefit from the process and challenges of coaching a group of young ladies and future D-1 stars!

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Ihowser ... good to see that the video clips are being put to productive use. You are to be applauded for your effort here.

Regarding your comment ... "JUST AS IMPORTANT THE LEAD ARM DOES NOT STRAIGHTEN. IN FACT...AS SHE SWINGS WATCH THE DISTANCE BETWEEN HER ELBOWS. IT STAYS THE SAME."

Something Doc advocated on this topic is that the lead arm attempts to either remain the same, or even extend, from 'launch' to 'contact' ... and that those that flex their lead arm are either adjusted because they were fooled by the pitch, or have poor mechanics.

Jul 26, 2010
Sometimes, what is being taught to a group of young ladies has nothing to do with what the coach/instructor is actually saying. There could be a girl on the team that the other admire for whatever reason, and the rest mimic her (the heel off the ground thing), or maybe the coach does this even though he's not aware. At this age, what you say means nothing, what you do, and what they feel means everything.

-W

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Ihowser ... good to see that the video clips are being put to productive use

"Productive use" is an understatement. Those clips are learning and training gold. They have helped me regarding hitting in the way the "internal rotation thread" helped in pitching. Thanks much for your labor.

Something Doc advocated on this topic is that the lead arm attempts to either remain the same, or even extend, from 'launch' to 'contact' ... and that those that flex their lead arm are either adjusted because they were fooled by the pitch, or have poor mechanics.
I would like to read what he has if you have a link.

Apr 1, 2010
Here are my picks. I'm just a parent, but to me most up them look like it's all arm and they're not getting their lower body into the swing.

Number 3. Number 8 is second. Of course number 5 didn't have much of a chance!

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Here are my picks. I'm just a parent, but to me most up them look like it's all arm and they're not getting their lower body into the swing.
Agreed. It was humbling with the work we have put into this to see this in game action. I highly recommend you tape your DD or yound players in game swings. You might me surprised what you discover. In the old days parents would shout - "keep your head in there" or "Start earlier" or "keep your eye on it...your not watching it all the way in" but video reveals it is something far more significant in mechanics.

Aug 2, 2008
#5, she took her base with authority.

If parents don't take an interest then coaches are screwed.

Your doing a good thing, keep it up.

May 16, 2010
Live Swings...the next step indeed! They look a lot different than our tee work!

Here is the 12U team I am working with. Hitter 1 is a 12y/o. 2-9 are 11y/o. Captured some swings at a indoor holiday event. I've numbered the swings. Vote for your favorite and say why!

They all need work, but #3 and #8 are at least close to good swings, the rest need a LOT of work. They are all swinging with just their arms, with long sweeping or casting swings.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi