Live Swings...Vote for your favorite!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Live Swings...the next step indeed! They look a lot different than our tee work!

Here is the 12U team I am working with. Hitter 1 is a 12y/o. 2-9 are 11y/o. Captured some swings at a indoor holiday event. I've numbered the swings. Vote for your favorite and say why!

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I know MTS. Every single one has already opened up with no coil, dropped hands, etc...

I think more from toss and less tee work.

Personally, I think a back to basics approach is needed for these ladies in terms of learning a proper swing sequence.

I selected #3 because in my opinion she was the only hitter close enough to a reasonable ‘sequence’ that would be effective against good pitching that is supported by a strong defense. The rest will likely struggle IMO … at least when facing solid teams. Sequence trumps all.

You might need to work with these girls in small groups to drive the swing sequence home.

R

RayR

I agree....as many reps as possible learning to get to foot strike in a strong position to hit....I do side toss where they start from the footstrike position as shown below...walk off the back heel and swing...I call this the 20/20....hips are open about 20 degrees / shoulders closes about 20 degrees....you don't have to be precise - in fact I have backed off the hips being open 20 degrees....

BenjiUCLA.jpg

I know MTS. Every single one has already opened up with no coil, dropped hands, etc...

I think more from toss and less tee work.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Personally, I think a back to basics approach is needed for these ladies in terms of learning a proper swing sequence.
That is the challenge when you coach the team and the hitters in all of the skill positions. What intrigues me is we are actually relatively good offensively and defensively compared to the 75% of the teams we face and that is ASA and NSA Travel. Shows how few per team actually are there at this age level. These game swings are pretty rough though. There is a massive leap between tee work and game swings at this age level.

You might need to work with these girls in small groups to drive the swing sequence home.
This is a key I am quickly recognizing. Right now splitting into 2 groups 5 and 6. That is way to many. I need at the most 2 at a time and probably 30 to 40 minutes with each group of 2.

Sequence trumps all
I think this will be one of my personal mantras for the coming year. We make little progressions with the kids tweeking individual things while explaining an overall goal and philosophy using video as a guide. We get improvement and have some good success overall (we let a lot go though) but I have a few special goals for this group of girls so we need to get sequence and mechanics moving in the right direction.

And whoever said "kids know how to swing natually until coaches ruin it" (we've all heard that) is nuts. They have never worked with a group of 10 - 12 year olds at a competative level.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi