Little help?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
It's not about concussion prevention. It's about skill degredation.

I don't follow that logic. Just because you're better protected doesn't mean there is less skill level required to play the game. Are hockey players of today less skilled than those of 40 years ago?

Dec 19, 2012
For instance, the baseball glove originally did not have a web. You had to have complete focus and catch the ball correctly and you had to use two hands with the old style mitt otherwise you would lose teeth. Now, the player is better protected because there is webbing between the thumb and the index finger, diminishing the skill to properly catch a ball, while also allowing others to compete whereas they could not compete without the web.

In football, better protection now allows players to fly at each other like human missles rather than learning proper tackling techniques and elusive skills. Because of this football now has to add rules to prevent certain kinds of hits.

Dec 19, 2012
My point is that you can put a less skilled player anywhere in the field if you pad them up enough.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
My point is that you can put a less skilled player anywhere in the field if you pad them up enough.

Respectfully, I'm not buying it. How does more padding help a player run faster, throw harder or more accurately, move more explosively, etc.?

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2012
Respectfully, I'm not buying it. How does more padding help a player run faster, throw harder or more accurately, move more explosively, etc.?

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying more protection dumbs down the overall skill set of the sport.......just like juiced bats.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying more protection dumbs down the overall skill set of the sport.......just like juiced bats.

I agree something like juiced bats are a performance booster that improves the results of a less-skilled player. I'm having trouble seeing how increased injury protection reduces the required skills to make plays. These are different issues.

Let's use my DD as an example....Maddie wears EvoShield guards on her forearms while catching (I believe these would fall into your category of "more protection"). These guards have been effective protection while blocking balls that take an unpredictable bounce off the chopped-up dirt around home plate. Improved skills won't change the unpredictable nature of the bounce, but the guards allow her to take an impact that might otherwise remove her from the game.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
I agree something like juiced bats are a performance booster that improves the results of a less-skilled player. I'm having trouble seeing how increased injury protection reduces the required skills to make plays. These are different issues.

Let's use my DD as an example....Maddie wears EvoShield guards on her forearms while catching (I believe these would fall into your category of "more protection"). These guards have been effective protection while blocking balls that take an unpredictable bounce off the chopped-up dirt around home plate. Improved skills won't change the unpredictable nature of the bounce, but the guards allow her to take an impact that might otherwise remove her from the game.

I didn't know they made something like that for catchers. It seems like a solid idea to me. Have they affected the way she plays or hindered how she plays? How does she like them? Also where can I get a pair of them? It might be a good idea for me to start wearing them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd