"Liking the coach" and performance

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 3, 2009
At the younger ages, i think they do need to like a coach to play at "their full potential". I think it becomes less of an issue, the older they get. My dd has played for hardcore yellers, and soft-spoken types. She's 13 now, and her preference is somewhere in the middle.

Oct 19, 2009
Thanks, Ken. Just so you know, your "Life in the Fastpitch Lane" and "Calling 'Em As I See 'Em" articles where very pivotal in how I changed my coaching style for the better. Thank you for your insights and wisdom!

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Thanks, Ken. Just so you know, your "Life in the Fastpitch Lane" and "Calling 'Em As I See 'Em" articles where very pivotal in how I changed my coaching style for the better. Thank you for your insights and wisdom!

Thanks. Glad you found them useful and helpful. Lots of people helped me learn too, so it's nice to be able to pass some of it along.

May 5, 2008
I had similar experiences to your DDs. Didn't always "like" the coach but learned to perform in spite of challenges coach brought to the team. I think it made me a mentally tougher player.

Other coaches I didn't really like, but had respect for - ones like you describe that had clear visions of what they wanted even if I didn't care for the way they went about it.

From a coaching perspective, it would be cool if players liked me, BUT they certainly don't have to. If that's what it takes for them to become their best, if they hate me because I push them further than anyone else ever did and they grew because of that, I can live with that.

That's my job. It's not my job to make you love me. It's my job to help you become the best you can be. If that means you don't like me, so be it. I am here to make YOU better. This is not about me. I am not here for me. This is about you so let's stay focused on YOU!

Nov 1, 2009
As a parent you need to like the coach. I am speaking more of their behavior than anything else. If you take a girl that is 8U and put her with a coach who yells and screams she will tolerate it and improve. Same girl at 10-12U will turn off the coach and more than likely not play the game or not improve to the level the could. The world is full of horrible coaches and I am sure you have seen many of them at the park. Your job as a parent is to protect your daughter and that includes protecting them from a bad coach. My suggestion would be to hold your coaches to the same level you would anyone else you let interact with your kids.

Now when they go to college it is different. You should watch your coaches on TV or go to games and practices to see how they handle the players. Great coaches are usually great communicators and that is what you should look for in a coach for your kids. Once they have committed to a college or coach the water is under the bridge, do your due diligence.

Jul 9, 2010
At younger ages, it's all about like. If they feel like the coach doesn't like them, the relationship is threatened and they shut down. At younger ages, being liked is important to them.

At older ages, I think that, if the coach respects them, they'll do their best, regardless of whether they like the coach or not. They know if the coach respects them based upon the way the coach treats them. Respecting a coach is not the same as liking the coach, and vice versa.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30