Lightning strikes Indiana softball players at practice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
I only know what I have been told on this. Received the following message through this board

Hal, thank you, and I'll try to digest this later. We just had a tragedy on our HS field as lightning struck and sent 4 players to the ER. One is a dear friend and she was hit directly and dropped, needing resuscitated in the dugout. She is now headed to Indiana's Level 1 Trauma Childrens hospital. I'll get back to this another time, but I do appreciate you responding!!
Jay

Please pray for these kids.

Hal Skinner

Additional: This is 'vdubya from this board/

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
Four teen athletes injured in Seymour lightning strike
Updated: Thursday, 15 Mar 2012, 7:25 PM EDT
Published : Thursday, 15 Mar 2012, 7:11 PM EDT

SEYMOUR, Ind. (WISH) - Four softball players were injured when lightning struck just before practice in Seymour on Thursday.

One girl was taken to Riley Hospital for Children at IU Health in critical condition after the strike at the high school field in the southern Indiana city. The three others were taken to Shneck Medical Center in Seymour with non-life-threatening injuries, said Stephanie Furlow, director of marketing at the center.

Seymour Police Chief Bill Abbott told tribtown.com that the skies were clear at the time of the lightning strike. He and the school's athletic director both declined to release further information about the incident or the girls' identities.

Though parts of far southeastern Indiana were under a severe thunderstorm watch at the time, Jackson County was under no weather alerts at the time of the strike, which happened at about 4:15 p.m. Thursday. A strong storm did move through the area shortly after, however. according to Forecast 8 meteorologists.

Check back with wishtv.com for more details on this developing story.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
The girls are in my thoughts... A reminder of how important it is to watch the weather and be aware of your surroundings to get inside when the lightening strikes!

Jan 24, 2009
Belated update:
I was out of state for spring break and didn't realize this had become a thread. Thank to all for your thoughts and prayers!

I don't like to use names in internet forums, but they were all over the news and articles, so...

I am pleased to report that Emily Bobb has done very well with her recovery. She was hospitalized for a few days, and was ultimately cleared to play ball last week. Coach is being cautious and easing her back into the game. She pinch hit once in her first game back, collecting a slap base hit at her first plate appearance in her HS career. (Varsity starter/Freshman). Yesterday she threw out the ceremonial first pitch at the boys baseball home opener. The girls have played four games, all on the road and I am told every opposing team has made some gesture/show of support towards the girls and team, from flowers to prayer on the field, etc. There are some kind, classy people in the softball community.

Emily's mom told me yesterday that she is near 100 percent, but says she feels a little slower. 'EmBobb', as we call her, is known in travel ball in Indiana as the adorable speedy red headed lefty who is an impossible out. Five tool player, wonderful kid and family--we are all very thankful for prayers answered!

Amanda is right to caution, but there was zero rain, zero lightning, and zero thunder all day until the strike occurred. It got darker to the west, but it was pretty nice at the school/town and all sports had kids outside until this. Thirty minutes prior I was washing my car in the sunny driveway. This was by all accounts a blameless tragic occurence. The team is moving forward and are more closeknit than ever.

Thanks again all!

That really is scary stuff. Glad to hear everyone seems to be doing ok. If anyone else has other updates they would be appreciated.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877